certain file extensions not found by firefly

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues certain file extensions not found by firefly

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    volkcher
    Participant

I have set up firefly on a NSLU and everything works fine – except: the file extensions, which I need are not found.

As long as I am scanning for .mp3 all files are found and communicated to other itunes clients. But I need the extension .aa

I have already edited the mt-daapd.conf in the extensions section, but nothing changes: .aa files are not found.

Another problem: Using the web interface, I can change and submit the parameters – but as soon as I refresh the page, the old parameters show up.

My only chance is directly editing the .conf file and restarting the server. What am I doing wrong?

rpedde
    Participant

@volkcher wrote:

I have set up firefly on a NSLU and everything works fine – except: the file extensions, which I need are not found.

As long as I am scanning for .mp3 all files are found and communicated to other itunes clients. But I need the extension .aa

I have already edited the mt-daapd.conf in the extensions section, but nothing changes: .aa files are not found.

It’s probably found, just won’t populate the metadata, because it doesn’t know what an .aa file is, or how to get info like title or author or whatever from it.

Not only that, but iTunes won’t play an .aa file, so it has to be transcoded. DO you have a script to turn that into a wav audio? That’s what you’ll need to get it running.

Another problem: Using the web interface, I can change and submit the parameters – but as soon as I refresh the page, the old parameters show up.

My only chance is directly editing the .conf file and restarting the server. What am I doing wrong?

Probably the config file isn’t writable by the daemon. Assuming your slug isn’t a multi-user device, you can probably fix that by making it world writable. Make sure you understand the security implications of that befor eyou do it, though:

# chmod 666 /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

should do it.

— Ron

volkcher
    Participant

Sorry, the problems are still existing:
    .aa is a file format used by the audiobook reseller “Audible”. I can play it with ITunes. I thought that firefly would principally read and serve everything – also text files, just in case I want it to. The only problem is the streaming with ITunes, and that is solved for .aa . Do you have an idea how I can make firefly read the .aa – files?

I set the rights according to your instructions and still cannot change the setting with the web interface.

Is something gone completely wrong?

grommet
    Participant

Yes, .aa files are supported by iTunes. It’s a proprietary Audible DRM capable container, which might contain ACELP or MP3 codec content. Firefly does not have the ability to parse .aa files itself currently…

In the Apple/iPod world, Apple’s .m4b (with AAC codec content) is far more common.

rpedde
    Participant

@volkcher wrote:

Sorry, the problems are still existing:
    .aa is a file format used by the audiobook reseller “Audible”. I can play it with ITunes. I thought that firefly would principally read and serve everything – also text files, just in case I want it to. The only problem is the streaming with ITunes, and that is solved for .aa . Do you have an idea how I can make firefly read the .aa – files?

I set the rights according to your instructions and still cannot change the setting with the web interface.

Is something gone completely wrong?

Hrm. Never seen that kind before, though. Do you have an unprotected one you would be willing to share for testing? Or can you find a sample, or test file around that can be downloaded?

What version of firefly are you using, also?

volkcher
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Hrm. Never seen that kind before, though. Do you have an unprotected one you would be willing to share for testing? Or can you find a sample, or test file around that can be downloaded?

Yes, there are free newsletters. How can I share it with you?

Version 0.2.4

rpedde
    Participant

@volkcher wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Yes, there are free newsletters. How can I share it with you?

You can just a paste a URL to one.

Version 0.2.4

Oh. That’s quite different from the nightly version. If you can point me toward a working .aa file, I’ll get it fixed for iTunes, then update nightlies with a fix. At that point, you’ll need to upgrade to nightlies.

— Ron

volkcher
    Participant

Thank you for solving the problem.

Unfortunately the newsletters are not public available so there is no URL. I would send you one as personal message. How?

rpedde
    Participant

@volkcher wrote:

Thank you for solving the problem.

Unfortunately the newsletters are not public available so there is no URL. I would send you one as personal message. How?

Gotcha. You can email it to me at [email protected]

Thanks.

— Ron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.