Can’t play FLAC or OGG transcode but can play MP3

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Can’t play FLAC or OGG transcode but can play MP3

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    rsl360
    Participant

Eddy5 & others:

did you ever get this resolved? it sounds like a problem addressed in another posting. Try: chmod 666 /dev/null on your nslu2, and/or see:
    http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=7712&highlight=roku+m1001+play

Robbie

uncleremus
    Participant

I have had a very similar situation with my new install of svn-1696. I have it working on one old machine (Pentium II), but cannot get it to work for flacs on my new machine (AMD64). I enabled level 9 debugging on the logs and noticed a difference:

Functioning machine:

Transcoding 05 Chuck Berry - Too Much Monkey Business (live).flac with ssc-ffmpeg/svn-1696

Non-functioning machine:

Transcoding 01 Johnny Don't Do It.flac with ssc-script/svn-1696
    Executing /etc/mt-daapd-ssc-script "01 Johnny Don't Do It.flac" 0 218.720 "flac"

So, just for testing I moved away my ssc-script files and made soft links to the ssc-ffmpeg-equivalents instead:

cd /usr/lib/mt-daapd/plugins/
    mv ssc-script.* ~/.
    ln -s ssc-ffmpeg.a ssc-script.a && ln -s ssc-ffmpeg.la ssc-script.la && ln -s ssc-ffmpeg.so ssc-script.so

And it works. Of course this is no solution, but maybe can give a hint on what is wrong. Why are different scripts called with the same software. I’m pretty sure the compile flags are equivalent because I’m looking at the gentoo package output and the same USE-flags are enabled.

stretch
    Participant

Firefly has two ways of transcoding music.

@http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/Transcoding_HOWTO wrote:

There are two different sample transcode scripts in the /contrib directory. One is called mt-daapd-ssc.sh, and the other mt-daapd-ssc.pl.

The mt-daapd-ssc.sh script transcodes the following formats: ogg and flac. It isn’t much, but the advantage of this script is that it is easily adaptable to other more exotic formats.

The other transcode script, mt-daapd-ssc.pl, is more featureful, and transcodes just about everything: flac, aac, ogg, shn, au, apple lossless, etc. It (of course) requires perl, mplayer, ffmpeg, and alac-decoder depending on what types of media you are trying to transcode. This one makes more sense if you have a machine that can run it. It’s not as easily hackable as the .sh one.

It appears that the two builds have been set to use different transcoding methods

uncleremus
    Participant

Thanks,

I looked into this and, from what I can see, the two builds uses the same as they both have put just mt-daapd-ssc.sh in the /usr/bin/ directory. The mt-daapd-ssc.pl isn’t found anywhere on the system (outside the source).

What is that that decides which of ssc-script(.a,.so, .la) or ssc-ffmpeg(.a,.so, .la) is called?

stretch
    Participant

You select which one to use on the advanced config page near the bottom.
    The last section is titled “Transcoding”.

uncleremus
    Participant

Thanks again,

they also look exactly the same there.

SSC Program
    /etc/mt-daapd-ssc-script

SSC Codec Types
    ogg,flac,alac

Never Transcode

Always Transcode

One thing I note is that I do not have any file /etc/mt-daapd-ssc-script.

Is there any possibility I could take a look at one? Should that one really be present in the source mt-daapd-svn-1696.tar.gz because I can’t find it after unpacking it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m having a similar problem. I’m running mt-daap-svn-1686 on fedora9-x86_64. For the client machines I’m using Itunes on windows xp pro, and rhythmbox on Ubuntu 8.04 and Gentoo 2008.0.
    If I start mt-daapd using the init script (service mt-daapd start) mp3s work fine but flacs will not play. From reading the logs it appears that the transcode works but the wav never gets sent across the network (only 1 packet gets sent). The client machines show the correct info for the wav files (file type, length, name, and tag info), but nothing plays. I’ve tried setting runas to nobody, root, and several other users but all give the same results.
    If I start mt-daapd from the command line (/usr/local/bin/mt-daapd) in a root shell everything works.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems to be working now. I commented out the ssc_codectypes line trying to stop it from transcoding so I could test something. It is still transcoding the flac files to wav, but now both iTunes and rhythmbox play them fine (as wav’s). I don’t understand why it would still be transcoding the flac files unless maybe thats the default behavior with ssc_codectypes not set.

stretch
    Participant

@uncleremus wrote:

Is there any possibility I could take a look at one? Should that one really be present in the source mt-daapd-svn-1696.tar.gz because I can’t find it after unpacking it.

mt-daapd-ssc.sh & mt-daapd-ssc.pl can be viewed at http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mt-daapd/trunk/contrib/?pathrev=1696

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.