Can I Update Database Information?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible to update the song meta data in the database. For example can I change the genre of a song after it has already been indexed?

rsl360
    Participant

Short answer? Yes. One way is with an add-on to firefox called sqlite manager. But is this really what you want to do? A full scan might wipe out the changes you have made, and deleting the database, (often done to solve problems), and doing a rescan certainly will. Maybe you really want to change the metadata in the music directly?

Robbie

stretch
    Participant

If you’ve updated metadata in the music files and then want to update the db you need to run a full scan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@rsl360 wrote:

Short answer? Yes. One way is with an add-on to firefox called sqlite manager. But is this really what you want to do? A full scan might wipe out the changes you have made, and deleting the database, (often done to solve problems), and doing a rescan certainly will. Maybe you really want to change the metadata in the music directly?

Robbie

This is what I originally wanted to do but I couldn’t figure out how to do it. I normally edit the the metadata for the music in my music player but I am not able to edit the files from the Firefly share. Any suggestions on how to do it?

stretch
    Participant

Use a tag editor and access the files directly or use your music player & access the files directly

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, I got a tag editor and updated a file. Then I went in and had Firefly scan the database but it doesn’t pick up the change. How can I make the database see the change?

rsl360
    Participant

@Paul41 wrote:

OK, I got a tag editor and updated a file. Then I went in and had Firefly scan the database but it doesn’t pick up the change. How can I make the database see the change?

I’m not sure, but I think you may need to shut down firefly, delete the database and restart it. This will cause the database to be rebuild from scratch. I’m not sure if firefly read all the data on every scan. I think it might just look for new files, and/or maybe one that have been entirely deleted. On my computer, the database is located: /usr/local/var/cache/mt-daapd/songs3.db. It might not be in that exact path on your system, but it should be similar. Or just do a search for songs3.db. (or songs.db, if are using an earlier version.)

Robbie

stretch
    Participant

No, you just need to do a “Full Scan”.

Scan = find & add new stuff
    Full Scan = database rebuild

EVILRipper
    Participant

Even more technical:
    IIRC, a rescan looks at a file’s ctime. (Creation time) If this has not been modified, the file is ignored.
    A Full rescan looks at a file’s mtime. (Modification time) So it only looks at the file if it was modified.

Please do correct me if I’m wrong. 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

I tried a full scan and deleting the database and the change still isn’t showing up, but when I view the id3 tag it is there. Any suggestions?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.