Can I Run Firefly on a Windows 98 machine?

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Can I Run Firefly on a Windows 98 machine?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kato
    Participant

Can I Run Firefly on a Windows 98 machine?

I’m asking because I have an old Win 98 beater and would like to set it up as a music server that would be on 24/7.

Just wondering before I go our and buy one of those cheapo Dell machines for $300 …

fizze
    Participant

Well, as if Win98 could do 24/7 πŸ˜‰

I am not sure wether its got all those requirements, but I guess it should be possible. Especially with all the win32 work that Ron has put in.

Anyway, power-wise it might be cheaper to get a lean-mean machine or a NAS that really runs 24/7. Those PCs chew up a lot of power, over time.

Kato
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Well, as if Win98 could do 24/7 πŸ˜‰

I am not sure wether its got all those requirements, but I guess it should be possible. Especially with all the win32 work that Ron has put in.

Anyway, power-wise it might be cheaper to get a lean-mean machine or a NAS that really runs 24/7. Those PCs chew up a lot of power, over time.

What do you mean by “Lean-mean machine”, & “NAS”?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions but I am a novice at this …

Kato
    Participant

NAS – Network attached storage…

Just Googled it.

Can a NAS run the Firefly server? If so what brand should I buy and from where? (I am in Canada)

My music consumes 35GB so I don’t need alot of space.

I am running WIN XP.

Cheers,
    Kato

fizze
    Participant

This Forum houses all the information you need. You’re welcome to use the search functionality.

Yes, there are plenty of NAS devices that are capable of running firefly. And they’re quite good at it, too. πŸ™‚

Kato
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

This Forum houses all the information you need. You’re welcome to use the search functionality.

Yes, there are plenty of NAS devices that are capable of running firefly. And they’re quite good at it, too. πŸ™‚

I did some preliminary searching and it looks like the Linksys NSLU2 is a popular choice.

I tried checking it out on firefly wiki but all I’m getting is computer garble. Must be down.

http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation

How easy is this one to set up? And how reliable is it?

Also – from the reviews it looks like I’ll have to reformat my USB2.0 External drives to FAT32 for them to work properly?

rpedde
    Participant

@Kato wrote:

@fizze wrote:

I did some preliminary searching and it looks like the Linksys NSLU2 is a popular choice.

I tried checking it out on firefly wiki but all I’m getting is computer garble. Must be down.

http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/NSLU2_Installation

How easy is this one to set up? And how reliable is it?

Also – from the reviews it looks like I’ll have to reformat my USB2.0 External drives to FAT32 for them to work properly?

Sorry… it’s up now. I upgraded to “etch” from “sarge” and thought I remembered to check everything… obviously not. πŸ™‚

With the nslu2, you do well to format it the way the nslu2 wants to — to ext3. You can use ntfs or something else, but performance is hideous.

As far as the process, it’s really well documented, and there are jillions of people here who have done it that can give pointers and advise.

— Ron

Kato
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

….With the nslu2, you do well to format it the way the nslu2 wants to — to ext3. You can use ntfs or something else, but performance is hideous.

As far as the process, it’s really well documented, and there are jillions of people here who have done it that can give pointers and advise.

— Ron

Great!

I’m ordering one today.

Not bad for $99. And I have two external USB 2.0 drives I’ve pickup up over the years.

One is 80GB, the other is 250GB.

I’ll format the 80GB using ‘ext3’. I’ve never used that system before. Anything to be aware of? My Win XP machine won’t exlode trying to access it?:)

Kato
    Participant

I’ve placed my order! πŸ˜€

Now I’m checking out my hard drive.

I don’t think that it supports auto spin down. (It’s old)

It’s a Western Digital WD800B008-RNQ

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1045

Anyone use this one w/ a slug?

Kato
    Participant

Ron

It seems that my external hard drive does have a “spin down & stop” utility available from Western Digital. It looks software driven for all Windows platforms.

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=11&swid=17

Based on this I’m assuming that I’ll have to try Method 3, using scsi-idle once I get my slug?

Again – anyone successful in spinning down one of these WD800B008 series drives?

Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions. This is very new to me.

Once I get the slug and start preparation I will start a new thread.

Please be nice … πŸ˜₯

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.