browse by directory

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    t0m
    Participant

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a server or a client feature, or if can’t be implemented with the daa protocol at all.

Anyway – browsing the database by directory (like you can do with slimserver) would be great!

/T0m

t0m
    Participant

is possible to implement “browse by directory” ?

/t0m

rpedde
    Participant

That’s a client issue… afaik, the only browses that can be done are by artist, album, genre, and song name.

It would be easy enough to implement, but it would have to be on the client side. So I’d say no, sadly — it would have to be done client-side.

CCRDude
    Participant

But there should be workarounds for almost any situation with the help of a id3 tag manager.

If folders are album or artist names, sorting isn’t a problem with good tags. If you’ve got exotic folder names, just write them into one of the lesser used id3(v2) tag fields (for example put the folder name into the Componist field, and you can sort by Componist in iTunes).

All you need is a good id3-tag-manager that can update all these tags.

rpedde
    Participant

Also smart playlists based on path.

t0m
    Participant

all id3v2 tags of my mp3 files should be up-to-date.

my dir-structure is
    /mp3/Alben//
    /mp3/Sampler//

Since my Roku SB dosen’t support compilations (yet) a browse by dir wold be a woraround for me.

using smart playlist based on path is not an option: all tracks would be on one list – wouldn’t it?

If the smart playlist would follow the directory structure.. that would be great 😉

/t0m

rpedde
    Participant

Ah, gotcha… no, if you are trying to work around the “roku doesn’t do compilations” thing, then no, that won’t work.

Sorry.

tgor
    Participant

I saw that the last reply to this question was at least a year ago. I am seeing support for a browse by folder in other media servers (e.g., TwonkyVision) and it seems to be supported in the latest firmware revision of my Roku as well. Are the prior limitations that prevented adding this feature now addressed?

rpedde
    Participant

@tgor wrote:

I saw that the last reply to this question was at least a year ago. I am seeing support for a browse by folder in other media servers (e.g., TwonkyVision) and it seems to be supported in the latest firmware revision of my Roku as well. Are the prior limitations that prevented adding this feature now addressed?

No, and the real stopper is the roku side. It’s doable on the firefly side, but doesn’t make much sense if there isn’t a client to take advantage of it.

The roku forums would be the place to bring this up.

— Ron

tgor
    Participant

Hmm… I am browsing directories on my roku soundbridge (m500 v2.5.174) right now, using twonky media server. Browsing folders also works on the roku using Telcanto media server (and SlimServer, but I read somewhere that there is something very different about the way that SlimServer works with Roku). My interpretation was that this was a relatively new upnp feature, and that the support of this feature was very new for Roku, but the support for browsing directories does appear to be there on the client now. Am I not understanding something with that support?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.