Browes by Artist: Paul Oakenfold

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Burkhardi
    Participant

Hello Ron,
    Great app, glad I finally tried it (was a die hard WMC user). two questions for you…

1. When I browes by Artist, I see “Paul Oakenfold” and when I expand that, I only see two of the three albums I have of him. All three albums are on my drive, but I only see two in Firefly. Also, the two I do see, only have a couple songs each. I noticed that the ones that do work, show “Paul Oakenfold” as the composser/contirbuting artits (or what ever it’s called), the ones that don’t have no mention of his name. I think this may be the issue. however, I assumed the “album artist” would superse that. In other words, I thought that browes by artist would be the artist or the song and/or album. So I would have assumed that if i browsed my “Paul Oakenfold” and selected one of his albums, that all the songs would be in there, regardsless if he was the artist or not.

Is this normal, or a glitch. I think WMC would do it the way I am thinking of. I can try it when I get home later today!

2. I have a bunch of playlists via Windows Media Player, SlimRoku can access them on my Photobridge, WMC can use them (of cource). Is there a way to make Firefly use them too (with out having to go back and re-do them with a different file extention).

Thanks again for the nice app, Matt Burkhard
    Server:Firefly – Files:WMA

Did I mention that Firefly is about a bizzillion times faster then WMC ๐Ÿ˜‰

grommet
    Participant

Support for “Album Artist” tag logic (and multiple Artists, Composers, Genres, etc.) is not implemented in Firefly. (That’s the one big thing I miss from WMC 2.0… being able to browse by Album Artist or any of the Artists involved… while retaining correct grouping.)

Firefly will only browse by the first defined track Artist (“Contributing Artist”) at this time. As a workaround, you can make “Paul Oakenfold” the first Artist on all the tracks impacted. You won’t see the track’s “real” artist while playing on SoundBridge… but you’ll retain the names for other applications. If Firefly ever gets support for Album Artist, multiple Artists, etc…. you’ll be all set.

(This isn’t just WMA… FLAC, OGG, etc. too.)

As you know from SlimRoku, Slimserver supports Album Artist. (The multiple names thing is still broken with WMA, though… but will get fixed in the 6.5 cycle)

Support for static .WPL playlists is in the plans for 1.0, but nothing yet…

Yep, Firefly screams… poor ol’ UPnP AV. 8)

Burkhardi
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

Support for “Album Artist” tag logic (and multiple Artists, Composers, Genres, etc.) is not implemented in Firefly. (That’s the one big thing I miss from WMC 2.0… being able to browse by Album Artist or any of the Artists involved… while retaining correct grouping.)

Firefly will only browse by the first defined track Artist (“Contributing Artist”) at this time. As a workaround, you can make “Paul Oakenfold” the first Artist on all the tracks impacted. You won’t see the track’s “real” artist while playing on SoundBridge… but you’ll retain the names for other applications. If Firefly ever gets support for Album Artist, multiple Artists, etc…. you’ll be all set.

(This isn’t just WMA… FLAC, OGG, etc. too.)

As you know from SlimRoku, Slimserver supports Album Artist. (The multiple names thing is still broken with WMA, though… but will get fixed in the 6.5 cycle)

Support for static .WPL playlists is in the plans for 1.0, but nothing yet…

Yep, Firefly screams… poor ol’ UPnP AV. 8)

Grommet my good man…

Thanks for the feed back. So currently, Firefly does not support Album Artist at all, just the first track artist and that’s it (if I read your post right).

So there is hope for .wpl then and I assume Firefly can be made to look at multiple genres and artists in the future, it’s just a matter of Ron getting time to add the code and putting out the larger fires first, right?

Yes, then I miss WMC’s Album Artist and “;” option(ie Hair Band;Metal)

Do you know if there are requests already in the “feature reguest” for these two items? If not, I will post them.

Thanks again, Matt

BTW, Grommet like in electronics for wires, or Grommet the dog?

rpedde
    Participant

So there is hope for .wpl then and I assume Firefly can be made to look at multiple genres and artists in the future, it’s just a matter of Ron getting time to add the code and putting out the larger fires first, right?

I did look at this, and my xml parser isn’t up to the task, sadly. It won’t be as simple as I hoped. So that feature is on the fence for a 1.0. Not that it much matters, as I won’t really have a 1.0. I think essentially what will happen is a nightly will end up being promoted to being 1.0. ๐Ÿ™‚

Meanwhile, nightlies will just keep rolling.

Do you know if there are requests already in the “feature reguest” for these two items? If not, I will post them.

These are first on the list for post-1.0 after the great db rewrite (take 3).

— ron

Burkhardi
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

I did look at this, and my xml parser isn’t up to the task, sadly. It won’t be as simple as I hoped. So that feature is on the fence for a 1.0. Not that it much matters, as I won’t really have a 1.0. I think essentially what will happen is a nightly will end up being promoted to being 1.0. ๐Ÿ™‚

Meanwhile, nightlies will just keep rolling.

These are first on the list for post-1.0 after the great db rewrite (take 3).

— ron

Ron,
    Thanks for the direct feedback and the attention to this!
    Regards, Matt

Burkhardi
    Participant

Did somemore looking around…It’s funny, the items that do not show up under the Paul Oakenfold sort do have someone else as the artist (like both y’all said).
    For example:
    Artist:Grandmaster Flash
    Album Title: A Lovely Mind
    Year:2006
    Track:6
    Genre:Trance
    Title: Set It Off

However, the songs that do show up, do not have an artist named, like it uses the Album Artist if the Artists name is not there. I am confused now, what makes this work since Firefly doesn’t/can’t look at Album Artists?
    For Example:
    Artist:
    Album Title: A Lovely Mind
    Year:2006
    Track:5
    Genre:Trance
    Title: Amsterdam

grommet
    Participant

Firefly’s logic, for now, is to populate WMA’s Album Artist metadata into Artist if it doesn’t exist. The Album Artist is actually shoved into what Ron calls Orchestra in his database… probably because that’s where he puts MP3 ID3v2 TPE2 (aka Band, aka Album Artist — well, as close as you can get)

On the flip side, if there is no “Album Artist” in the WMA… Orchestra gets populated with Artist.

rpedde
    Participant

@Burkhardi wrote:

However, the songs that do show up, do not have an artist named, like it uses the Album Artist if the Artists name is not there. I am confused now, what makes this work since Firefly doesn’t/can’t look at Album Artists?

Yup, that’s right. If there is no artist, it uses album artist. What it doesn’t do is keep those two type separate, and allow searching for one or the other.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.