–= Bonjour & Firefly =–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    psychoplasma

Hi folks,

first of all greetings from the northern coast of Germany and a nice thursday 2 all of u!!

Yesterday I got my Soundbridge 1001 and during the whole night I tried my very best to make it work – to be honest: no success at all!! Internet–Radio as preinstalled on the device is no problem but I can not access my computer!The SB is connected via WiFi to a WiFi-Router (ZYXEL, in use as an access point). The Zyxel is connected to wired Router/Modem/Switsch made by AVM (fritz phone 5050) – thru this device my whole network is connected to the internet.

Steps taken:

– tried SlimServer first: worked so far; I could navigate thru my music files but there was no sound. I pressed PLAY/SELECT on my remote but nothing happend; even the visualization did not start; I could SEE anything but could not hear a single sound!!

– then tried iTunes: Did not work, my Soundbridge said something like: “Incompatible Server Software found; please use Firefly instead” OKAY!!

– then tried Firefly: Installed Bonjour first, DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING ELSE WITH BONJOUR AFTER INSTALLING??? I just installed it and nothing more… okay, then installed firefly; Server is running, has scanned my files but if I am looking at the Web Interface it always says that Bonjour STOPPED.. I looked at the Win-Services to ensure the automatic start of the bonjour-services – everything okay. Why BONJOUR is always stopped? No idea.. okay, I went back to the device – Soundbridge tells me “no music archive found (why?)”

My thoughts:

– is iTunes necessary to use FireFly? – I guess NO
    – Firewall problem??
    I have 3 firewalls (HW: Zyxel, AVM and SW: ZONEALARM on my computer). I did not start the software firewall because I assumed problems when installing my Soundbridge.

Nevertheless: Anyone knows which ports have to be open for SlimServer or FireFly and how to tell ZONEALARM that this ports have to be open??
    Do I have to adjust the HW-Firewall Settings of the ZYXEL and the AVM; in which way?

Why is my SB able to “see” SlimServer and iTunes but can not see the “Firefly”???

Okay folks, I´m really tired now… perhaps anyone can help me, I hope so.. I really hope so… take care and c u later..

Best regards,
    Olli

rpedde
    Participant

@psychoplasma wrote:

Yesterday I got my Soundbridge 1001 and during the whole night I tried my very best to make it work – to be honest: no success at all!! Internet–Radio as preinstalled on the device is no problem but I can not access my computer!The SB is connected via WiFi to a WiFi-Router (ZYXEL, in use as an access point). The Zyxel is connected to wired Router/Modem/Switsch made by AVM (fritz phone 5050) – thru this device my whole network is connected to the internet.

Last two times we saw this behavior, the culprit was the AVM device:

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8445

Why is my SB able to “see” SlimServer and iTunes but can not see the “Firefly”???

The only thing I can think is that the AVM doesn’t really do multicast routing. Slimserver uses broadcast, whereas bonjour/rendezvous uses multicast. What everyone has been able to troubleshoot so far is that on the “far” side of the AVM, you can see the _daap._tcp advertisement, but not the _rsp._tcp one. On the “near” side of the AVM, you can see both.

Don’t know why, except that it must be something in the AVM.

What happens if you plug you computer on the soundbridge side of the AVM, or if you move you SB to the computer side of the AVM?

Betcha it works.

Don’t know why, though. :/

— Ron

psychoplasma

Thx, will try that…

1.) But what is about the Bonjour service? Should the FF-Web Interface say “Running” or is “Stopped” okay? No further configuration of Bonjour needed?

2.) Is it true that port opening is only a subject to the software firewall? All Hardware Firewall settings can be left unchanged? There is no need to open ports here?

3.) Can I use Firefly WITHOUT having iTunes installed on my PC?

4.) Why can´t I connect the Soundbridge under the XP “Network Area”, “UPnP Devices” – I see the SB device but I can´t get access to the SB – Web Interface; I can access both routers thru that way. Is there another way to access the web Interface?

My IPs:

192.168.178.23 Soundbridge
    192.168.178.22 Notebook I
    192.168.178.21 My PC
    192.168.178.20 Notebook II

tHx again for your help!!
    greetz, Olli

rpedde
    Participant

@psychoplasma wrote:

1.) But what is about the Bonjour service? Should the FF-Web Interface say “Running” or is “Stopped” okay? No further configuration of Bonjour needed?

It *should* say running, but it doesn’t. It’s a bug.

2.) Is it true that port opening is only a subject to the software firewall? All Hardware Firewall settings can be left unchanged? There is no need to open ports here?

If you have multiple firewalls between you and the destination, then you must have firewall rules to allow the traffic you want.

You’ll need port 80 open to the SB to allow access to the SB web interface.

You’ll need port 9999 from the SB to Firefly for the SB to connect to Firefly.

You’ll need multicast traffic from 224.0.0.251, udp port 5353 pretty much everywhere to allow rendezvous to work.

3.) Can I use Firefly WITHOUT having iTunes installed on my PC?

Yes. Just point the music directory to a folder full of music

4.) Why can´t I connect the Soundbridge under the XP “Network Area”, “UPnP Devices” – I see the SB device but I can´t get access to the SB – Web Interface; I can access both routers thru that way. Is there another way to access the web Interface?

Nope, sounds like a firewall issue.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.