Basics: Soundbridge does not find Firefly server

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Basics: Soundbridge does not find Firefly server

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hello folks!

I have a problem with connecting my Soundbridge M1001 to my music libraries in my two PCs. SB finds the wireless network fine and I can play Internet Radio without problems. For some reason, SB does not find my libraries or servers. I just bought the SB a week ago. I’m not “panicing” yet but a bit frustrated.

Here’s the setup:

WLAN Router: Linksys WRT54G:
    – Firewall/DHCP/NAT
    – 64-bit WEP enc.
    – wireless MAC filter (Soundbridge Wi-Fi MAC allowed)

Soundbridge M1001:
    – SW: 2.5.150
    – Gets IP address by DHCP from the WLAN router

Old desktop PC:
    – OS: Xubuntu 6.06
    – Media server: Firefly (nightly: svn-1433)
    – No firewall (since in WLAN router)
    – Wired LAN connection to WLAN router

Old IBM T20 laptop:
    – OS: Windows 2000
    – Media server: iTunes 7.0.2.16
    – No firewall (since in WLAN router)
    – Wireless LAN connection to WLAN router

I’ve checked that the both servers are up and running. I can even access the configuration page of Firefly server in Xubuntu from the Windows PC (http://host:3689). I haven’t yet tried the otherway round (to Firefly server from iTunes). I think that would require some plugin together with the Firefly server?

The firewall settings in WLAN router are very simple:

Block Anonymous Internet Requests: SET
    Filter Multicast: SET
    Filter Internet NAT Redirection: NOT SET
    Filter IDENT(Port 113): SET

Here’s port scan result from my Xubuntu/Firefly machine:

ville@lumiukko:~$ sudo nmap localhost
    Password:

Starting Nmap 4.10 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-11-21 23:01 EET
    Interesting ports on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1):
    Not shown: 1675 closed ports
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    139/tcp open netbios-ssn
    445/tcp open microsoft-ds
    631/tcp open ipp
    3689/tcp open rendezvous

Nmap finished: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.434 seconds

and iptables print:

ville@lumiukko:~$ sudo iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I’m quite newbie to Linux so I don’t know whether the nmap/iptables printings are relevant or not…

Finally, mt-daapd starting logs:

ville@lumiukko:~$ grep daapd /var/log/syslog
    Nov 21 22:25:01 localhost mt-daapd[4838]: Config entry general/db_dir is deprecated. Please review the sample config
    Nov 21 22:25:01 localhost mt-daapd[4838]: Firefly Version svn-1433: Starting with debuglevel 2
    Nov 21 22:25:01 localhost mt-daapd[4838]: Starting rendezvous daemon
    Nov 21 22:25:01 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Starting signal handler
    Nov 21 22:25:02 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Initializing database
    Nov 21 22:25:02 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Starting web server from /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689
    Nov 21 22:25:02 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Registering rendezvous names
    Nov 21 22:25:02 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Serving 16 songs. Startup complete in 1 seconds
    Nov 21 22:25:02 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Rescanning database
    Nov 21 22:25:02 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Starting playlist scan
    Nov 21 22:25:02 localhost mt-daapd[4840]: Scanned 16 songs (was 16) in 0 seconds

Firefly does not seem to like my db_dir setting that I left as is. Well, the directory does exist:

ville@lumiukko:~$ ls /var/cache/mt-daapd
    songs.db songs.gdb

As a summary:
    – SB finds and connects to WLAN ok
    – SB plays Internet Radios
    – Media servers are running but SB cannot find them

Is there something obvious that I’ve missed? What should be checked/corrected in the current setup? This my be some “trivial” port issue or something like that but I cannot figure it out 😕

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    As a end note: SB also fails to upgrade to 2.5.174. It starts to download the upgrade, gets about 70 % downloaded and then claims that the upgrade failed.

rpedde
    Participant

@ville wrote:

I have a problem with connecting my Soundbridge M1001 to my music libraries in my two PCs. SB finds the wireless network fine and I can play Internet Radio without problems. For some reason, SB does not find my libraries or servers. I just bought the SB a week ago. I’m not “panicing” yet but a bit frustrated.

If you upgraded from an old version, you’ll want to wipe the config file and copy the example from contrib. In particular, you want the plugins/plugin_dir entry. That’s what’s causing you the grief. You don’t have any plugins to actually serve content — that’s why nothing is advertised.

— Ron

@rpedde wrote:

If you upgraded from an old version, you’ll want to wipe the config file and copy the example from contrib. In particular, you want the plugins/plugin_dir entry. That’s what’s causing you the grief. You don’t have any plugins to actually serve content — that’s why nothing is advertised.

Hmm… any plugins to serve the content. Sounds crucial. I thought that the running Firefly server is enough. Do you mean that I need to set e.g. Rhythmbox or some other Linux Media player running?

I’ll need to investigate this more when I get home…

Regards,
    sansp00
    Participant

No, basically, the plugins are they way music is served to the Roku, ie via RSP or DAAP in our case. So you don’t need to have another media server working under or on top of Firefly.

Patrick S.

rpedde
    Participant

@ville wrote:

Hmm… any plugins to serve the content. Sounds crucial. I thought that the running Firefly server is enough. Do you mean that I need to set e.g. Rhythmbox or some other Linux Media player running?

Right, like Patrick said — the plugins present various front ends to the data. DAAP and RSP right now, but eventually I’d like it to be able to look like a UPnP server by loading the UPnP output module, or like an xbox cxxstream server by loading the cxxstream module.

That kind of thing.

@rpedde wrote:

Wow 😀 That really did the trick! Thank you so much!

Was it because of the nightly upgrade (and missing up-to-date config) that the correct plugin was missing? At least I have missed it… Is there any plugin guide somewhere? If a plugin, e.g. out-daap.so is a “must”, there should be.

Now it’s time for SB/Firefly/Xubuntu fine-tuning 8)

Regards,
    rpedde
    Participant

@ville wrote:

Was it because of the nightly upgrade (and missing up-to-date config) that the correct plugin was missing? At least I have missed it… Is there any plugin guide somewhere? If a plugin, e.g. out-daap.so is a “must”, there should be.

Right. But while I could update almost all of the old configuration file, I can’t upgrade the plugin directory. Maybe if I don’t have any plugins to load I should maybe fail to start and drop a syslog message to add a plugin_dir entry.

As far as documentation, sadly none.

Working to build a manual here, but it’s just started.

— Ron

Kiffy

…. you’ll want to wipe the config file and copy the example from contrib. In particular, you want the plugins/plugin_dir entry. That’s what’s causing you the grief. You don’t have any plugins to actually serve content — that’s why nothing is advertised.

Hi this seems to be my problem too but I don’t understand any of this. Can you explain it to me in a simple step by step way, please.

Thanks

Kiffy

rpedde
    Participant

@Kiffy wrote:

…. you’ll want to wipe the config file and copy the example from contrib. In particular, you want the plugins/plugin_dir entry. That’s what’s causing you the grief. You don’t have any plugins to actually serve content — that’s why nothing is advertised.

Hi this seems to be my problem too but I don’t understand any of this. Can you explain it to me in a simple step by step way, please.

You’ll need to share what version of the software you are using on what platform. Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

Are you using a Roku Soundbridge, or the Pinnacle branded one, and with what firmware version?

What generally seems to be happening? can’t see it from the soundbridge? Can you see it with iTunes? And have you disabled (for purposes of troubleshooting) any firewalls on the machine that is acting as a server?

OzzyOsmond

I”m having this issue and the following is pretty greek to me, too:

<<
    >>

My details:

* Windows Server 2003

* SoundBridge and SoundBridge Radio – neither see my FireFly server

* I have a laptop with XP and FireFly, and both SoundBridge and SoundBridge Radio see it fine.

* On my Windows Server 2003 machine, FireFly _was_ working fine. However, the RAM went bad, so I replaced it. After that, my SoundBridges stopped seeing the FireFly server on the Windows Server 2003 machine.

* I uninstalled Bonjour and FireFly, then reinstalled both.

* Now, neither of my SoundBridges can see FireFly on my Windows Server box. Additionally, when I attempt to view Web Administration, I get an “Unable to Connect” message.

I have no idea what happened, but was hoping the reinstall would fix things. It sounds like the stuff with the config file and the example from contrib may work, but I have no idea what those are. A more user-friendly explanation would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.