Available on a specific interface?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    patzerbud
    Participant

I’m wondering how difficult it would be to allow configuration of the specific interface(s) that mt-daapd should use? The Samba configuration allows you to specify this. Here’s a snippet from the smb.conf file:

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
    # If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
    # here. See the man page for details.
    ; interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

I’m fast approaching 10,000 songs in my db. I thought it might be easier (and perform faster!) if I could split my library up and run more than one instance of mt-daapd. Linux allows you to configure your server to respond to more than one ip address, even with only one NIC.

Thanks for the great product!!

Mike (aka PatzerBud)

fizze
    Participant

yup, its possible with mt-daapd.
    You just need 2 conf files, and bind them to different ports.

obviously you’d also need to alter the startup scripts.

rpedde
    Participant

@patzerbud wrote:

I’m fast approaching 10,000 songs in my db. I thought it might be easier (and perform faster!) if I could split my library up and run more than one instance of mt-daapd. Linux allows you to configure your server to respond to more than one ip address, even with only one NIC.

What fizze said. I’d do the multiple servers on different ports thing as well.

— Ron

patzerbud
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

yup, its possible with mt-daapd.
    You just need 2 conf files, and bind them to different ports.

obviously you’d also need to alter the startup scripts.

Oh! That seems too simple. 🙂 Silly me. I guess I was thinking that wouldn’t work because any iTunes clients would only look for/connect to servers that offer this on port 3689 (the iTunes default). Obviously I’m mistaken. Does the mt-daapd server announce (broadcast) it’s availability/existence via tcp/ip or udp? Including, of course, the port it’s running on…? (Just because I’m curious.)

TIA,

Mike (aka PatzerBud)

rpedde
    Participant

@patzerbud wrote:

Oh! That seems too simple. 🙂 Silly me. I guess I was thinking that wouldn’t work because any iTunes clients would only look for/connect to servers that offer this on port 3689 (the iTunes default). Obviously I’m mistaken. Does the mt-daapd server announce (broadcast) it’s availability/existence via tcp/ip or udp? Including, of course, the port it’s running on…? (Just because I’m curious.)

Yup, that’s what mdns does. iTunes just asks the network who is running daap services, and the server responds with the ip address and port and whatnot — so it’s the mdns component that does that. And by way of information, it’s multicast as opposed to broadcast.

wrt to running mt-daapd on multiple ports, you’ll want to have different database directories (db_parms), different ports, and different log files. That should really be it.

mchabot

Can someone please post an example of this? I’m pretty new to this and I want to make sure I bind to one ethernet adapter on my system and not another.

Thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@mchabot wrote:

Can someone please post an example of this? I’m pretty new to this and I want to make sure I bind to one ethernet adapter on my system and not another.

The stuff people are talking about above isn’t binding to a specific interface, but rather splitting the db into two parts, and running two instances of mt-daapd.

Right now, the db doesn’t support binding to one interface or another. It binds to all interfaces.

— Ron

mchabot

If my ethernet adapters participate in different networks with different address ranges wouldn’t it work to bind it to the address range I want it to listen on and not the other? In the example above it looks like they are telling the server to listen on 192.168.12.2 and 192.168.13.2 specifically and to only answer requests from that address. Is this possible? Basically I want my server to be available on one network and not another.

Thanks!

rpedde
    Participant

@mchabot wrote:

In the example above it looks like they are telling the server to listen on 192.168.12.2 and 192.168.13.2 specifically and to only answer requests from that address.

Correct, but they are saying “it would be nice if mt-daapd did this”, which in fact it does not right now.

Is this possible? Basically I want my server to be available on one network and not another.

Not exactly like that, no.

But if you use howl or a third-party mdns server, you could tell *that* to only advertise on a specific interface, and firewall port 3689 on the interface you dont’ want it to work for.

Or, firewall outbound traffic to 224.0.0.251 on the interface you don’t want people to access it on, as well as incoming traffic on 3689. that would work too, by supressing the advertisements and blocking access to the daemon.

— Ron

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.