Avahi support

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

Yup, as I mentioned earlier, the next version will not have the built-in mdns stuff. It will rely on an external mdns responder.

rpedde
    Participant

lol. go figure.

rpedde
    Participant

I’ll be adding that patch next couple days.

wrt debian, good point. I’ll probably keep it in cvs and not make it part of the distribution.

— Ron

rpedde
    Participant

I’m probably going to pick that apart to make it more like the other rend-* files.

As far as playlist retrieval being broken, the “smart” tab shouldn’t be. If it is, then it’s something I don’t know about.

Or is it possible you have the “old” smart playlists? Those don’t work anymore. 🙂

Check the nightly notes for clues on how to re-write the smart playlists. They are more like the old .playlist file now — a playlist “script” to abstract it from the backend db.

— Ron

saintdev

eschoeller wrote:

has avahi support been added into the nightlies yet? Or should I grab the patch …

I’m excited to ditch these other mdns daemons that seem to suck …

No it hasn’t been. Grab the patch if you want to use Avahi.

saintdev

Here ya go. Simple enough fix. Hope you don’t mind slomo

Gah, attachments :/

http://www.saintdevelopment.com/mt-daapd-20051112-avahi.diff

Post edited by: saintdev, at: 2005/11/14 21:13

Mike
    Participant

Holy cow… I just thought I’d give avahi a little spin for kicks… what a pain in the ass. I run mt-daapd on a headless slackware box. God save anyone who walks down this path… I ended up running ./configure in avahi with about seven different –disable options and still it’s complaining. Why doesn’t specifying –disable-gtk disable all need to have gtk installed? Why is the configure script looking for python gtk support? Come to think of it, what the hell does an mDNS responder need all these graphical toolkits for? Anyway… I still can’t get Avahi to ./configure properly…
    Bottom line: Do Not, under Any circumstances, require Avahi to be installed on a system for any future releases of mt-daapd. This software is nowhere near prime-time yet.

saintdev

Here’s what I ended up with. I just used portage to emerge avahi, but I looked at the ebuild to come up with the options that would work on my headless.

./configure --disable-glib --disable-qt3 --disable-qt4 --disable-gtk --disable-pygtk --disable-mono --disable-mono-docs

Now if you have Mono installed I’m sure you can remove –disable-mono/–disable-mono-docs. In theory all you should need to have if you just don’t have GTK is –disable-glib –disable-gtk –disable-pygtk

Post edited by: saintdev, at: 2005/11/15 12:13

Mike
    Participant

That still didn’t do the trick. In order to get it to ./configure I had to use the following:

./configure --disable-glib --disable-qt3 --disable-qt4 --disable-gtk --disable-pygtk --disable-mono --disable-mono-docs --disable-gtk --with-distro=none --disable-python --prefix=/usr

which is a little much. Wasn’t the point of automake and so forth that most of these things were “auto”-detected? Anyway, that’s beside the point. Now that it ./configure’s, make’s, and make install’s, it doesn’t build enough of avahi to be of any use. Trying to compile mt-daapd against the resulting build of avahi fails. How can a simple mDNS responder need so many darn bits of software on my system? I mean, Avahi may not be bloatware in an of itself, but apparently it wants me to install so many other pieces of software that I don’t need or intend to use in any way shape or form that it certainly deserves to be in the same catagory as openoffice or the best microsoft can produce…
    Sorry, just when a system service wants me to install everything this side of the moon to work it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

rpedde
    Participant

That was my take, too — that the bindings and whatnot should be abstracted into about 8 different packages.

Still, I guess that is a distro problem.

But no, it won’t require avahi. At some point, I hope that the only mDNS server out there is avahi, and then everything will be easier. Until then, it will support dns_sd.h (via apple, or Howl 2.0), Howl 1.0, or Avahi.

That’s the goal, anyway. Getting that patch integrated is next on my list, after finding the stupid race that keeps killing the server.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.