Authentication requested after video begins streaming (m4v)

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Authentication requested after video begins streaming (m4v)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ginormous
    Participant

Client: Mac OS X with iTunes 7.x
    Server: Ubuntu Fiesty
    Build: 1668

I have a strange issue when streaming m4v files. I can play my m4v videos I purchased at the iTunes store, but a minute or two into the stream I get a request for my admin firefly credentials.

– If I authenticate everything works great.

– If I cancel, it will continue to stream, but then request credentials again within a few moments.

– If I give the wrong credentials, it requests the correct credentials immediately.

It isn’t much trouble at all to authenticate, but I just thought it was kind of odd. Is this a feature? A bug? Weirdness between my particular client and server? Anybody else have a similar issue?

-Stephanie

rpedde
    Participant

@ginormous wrote:

Client: Mac OS X with iTunes 7.x
    Server: Ubuntu Fiesty
    Build: 1668

I have a strange issue when streaming m4v files. I can play my m4v videos I purchased at the iTunes store, but a minute or two into the stream I get a request for my admin firefly credentials.

– If I authenticate everything works great.

– If I cancel, it will continue to stream, but then request credentials again within a few moments.

– If I give the wrong credentials, it requests the correct credentials immediately.

It isn’t much trouble at all to authenticate, but I just thought it was kind of odd. Is this a feature? A bug? Weirdness between my particular client and server? Anybody else have a similar issue?

-Stephanie

I assume you are using passworded itunes library?

I’ve seen that iTunes does a strange request while it’s streaming videos, but normally it gets a 404 since I’m not answering that request. But with password protection, I guess it pops up an authentication box.

Hrm.

I guess I’ll have to look closer at that and return *something*. 🙂

— Ron

ginormous
    Participant

Which password protection are you referring to? I have not setup the library password protection in the configuration file, and I don’t have to authenticate for any of the music. The username and password it requests is the same admin username and password I use to login to the web admin.

-Stephanie

rpedde
    Participant

@ginormous wrote:

Which password protection are you referring to? I have not setup the library password protection in the configuration file, and I don’t have to authenticate for any of the music. The username and password it requests is the same admin username and password I use to login to the web admin.

-Stephanie

Oh, right. True. Because since it doesn’t know what iTunes is requesting, it thinks its an admin page.

ginormous
    Participant

Ah, right. I got you know. Thanks for clearing that up. -Stephanie

memckimmy
    Participant

I’ve experienced the same problem and I’m glad to see someone finally figured out what username / password combo it was asking for!

I’m running iTunes 7 (7.4 right now but I’ve experienced it in other versions) on WinXP as a client, and SVN-1671 on an Ubuntu Feisty server, but also noticed it with a few other nightly builds.

It only does this on video files, I’ve noticed it on both .mov and .m4v files. The box pops up with the ip address of my server, shows that it’s trying to access some form of “webserver”, and wants the username and password. Everything else works just as the original poster described.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

rpedde
    Participant

@memckimmy wrote:

I’ve experienced the same problem and I’m glad to see someone finally figured out what username / password combo it was asking for!

I’m running iTunes 7 (7.4 right now but I’ve experienced it in other versions) on WinXP as a client, and SVN-1671 on an Ubuntu Feisty server, but also noticed it with a few other nightly builds.

It only does this on video files, I’ve noticed it on both .mov and .m4v files. The box pops up with the ip address of my server, shows that it’s trying to access some form of “webserver”, and wants the username and password. Everything else works just as the original poster described.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

Fixed in svn, will be in next nightlies.

— Ron

ginormous
    Participant

Thanks!

Terc

Thanks so much for this!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.