Advise: which linux

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Guys,

My ClarkConnect broke down and I decided I want something else, which can run firefly
    Problem with CC was that there was no C compiler to compile firefly (in fact, I probably messed it up trying to install gcc, glibc and what not ๐Ÿ˜€ )

So I need an evironment that runs Samba, SSH and enough libs and stuff to install and run firefly,

Can you advise me what to get (for free)?

I’m running a Compaq Armada E500 laptop.

sonichouse
    Participant

I would suggest you try one of the livecd discs on your laptop to see if there are any compatability issues with screen and network drivers.

Knoppix and Slax both worked will with my laptop… YMMV

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, I will try that.

But what do you suggest if I manage to get it running with one of those?
    Leave it running like that?

sonichouse
    Participant

I managed to boot my laptop from a flash pen drive with help from here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/30/live-cd-repository/#more-84

Quite a few of the distributions detail how to install to the HDD of the laptop.

The choice then is whether you dual boot with your existing OS on the laptop, or boot it from a flash drive.

M@rk
    Participant

I use Ubuntu on one of my spare machines – you can either download it or request a free CD.

It works as a live CD but, if you like it (and everything works), it’s got an “install” button!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, seems I have some options to explore.

I really want a minimum system, no graphics, just terminal.

fizze
    Participant

Well, gentoo is about as miminum as it gets. And it can be installed with just three commands! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ *SCNR* ๐Ÿ˜†

In all seriousness though, Ubuntu installs a full blown Gnome desktop too, and thats probably not what you want. AFAIK there aren’t much options, as ubuntu is meant to be human-friendly. Debian wouldn’t be far from that then, and with Debian you definetly can chose to run console only.

At this point I say it doesn’t matter much, since most of the distros come with coretuils and all those famous command line tools, anyway.

Anonymous
    Inactive

And what about necessary libraries and stuff? Will any modern distro provide what I need to compile firefly?

fizze
    Participant

Yes, since firefly relies pretty much on standard libraries. Its available for all sorts of embedded devices, and all those libs are available for these platforms too. So dont you worry on a good’old x86 ๐Ÿ™‚

Jxn
    Participant

I know that Debian has mt-daapd compiled and packed for you to just install with ‘aptitude install mt-daapd’ from a terminal. So do Ubuntu too.
    All the rest (Samba, Openssh etc) is also there under your fingertips.

I don’t have any recent knowled about any other Linux distribution, but the software you look for should be there too. DSL might be a Linux distribution that might suit your needs. DSL Home page.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.