admin page working… but Bonjour service changes to stopped

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues admin page working… but Bonjour service changes to stopped

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
    Participant

Hi there,

Newbie LINUX & FIREFLY user here

I followed the instructions on installing Firefly onto my Linkstation 2 (mipsel) and all seemed to go well.

I started the service, went to the web page on port 3689 on a PC (wired ethernet) and noticed that although the glorious firefly page was showing (SVN-1539)

and it managed to scan and show the 1 mp3 I had put in the appropriate directory.

The Bonjour service was shown as STOPPED, and on refreshing the page seemed to go from ‘RUNNING’ to ‘STOPPED’ almost instantly

iTunes (PC, 7.1.1.5) didn’t see any listing for any shared tunes ;o(
    I checked that “search for shared libraries” was on.. and turned on another PC with a iTunes and a shared library just to make sure the iTunes side of things was working…. fine!

So, I set the Firefly server debug level to 9, turned on the log and started up the latest iTunes again..

I opened up the admin web page, and also turned on iTunes before sending the shutdown command to Firefly, and grabbing the log file.

This is what I collected… I can’t see anything wrong… help!

The log file is a plain text file here

http://www.beaufortes.com/mt-daapd.log

any help appreciated.

Regards,

Jason

rpedde
    Participant

@JasonB wrote:

Hi there,

Newbie LINUX & FIREFLY user here

I followed the instructions on installing Firefly onto my Linkstation 2 (mipsel) and all seemed to go well.

I started the service, went to the web page on port 3689 on a PC (wired ethernet) and noticed that although the glorious firefly page was showing (SVN-1539)

and it managed to scan and show the 1 mp3 I had put in the appropriate directory.

The Bonjour service was shown as STOPPED, and on refreshing the page seemed to go from ‘RUNNING’ to ‘STOPPED’ almost instantly

iTunes (PC, 7.1.1.5) didn’t see any listing for any shared tunes ;o(
    I checked that “search for shared libraries” was on.. and turned on another PC with a iTunes and a shared library just to make sure the iTunes side of things was working…. fine!

So, I set the Firefly server debug level to 9, turned on the log and started up the latest iTunes again..

I opened up the admin web page, and also turned on iTunes before sending the shutdown command to Firefly, and grabbing the log file.

This is what I collected… I can’t see anything wrong… help!

The log file is a plain text file here

http://www.beaufortes.com/mt-daapd.log

any help appreciated.

Regards,

Jason

Looks okay. The rendezvous server seems to be running okay… what firmware and stuff are you running on the linkstation?

openlink? freelink? And where did the package come from? Or did you build it yourself?

Also, is the whole network wired, end to end, from the linkstatoin to the pc? Over a single switch?

JasonB
    Participant

Running Debian which I installed using some instruction from the linkstation wiki last year (before the openlink package became available and made it all alot easier!)

Kernel 2.4.20 – GNU/linux

I built and installed Firefly using the latest nightly and the instructions listed at

http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Firefly_Openlink

nothing of note interrupted the installation… and my final firefly screen looks much the same as the one illustrated.

Everything is great apart from not being able to see any shared files in iTunes

the network between PC and linkstation is wired… through a Bebox router
    but there doesn’t seem to be anything funky happening with port 3689 as I can share mp3 between two PC’s running itunes (1 wired, 1 wireless) fine!

?;o~

The only thing I’m running on the linkstation is torrentflux (a python script) on a lighttpd server.. but I’m not using it with bit torrents at the moment

any thoughts?

JasonB
    Participant

Just in case it helps…

My mt-daapd.conf file

[general]
    web_root = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
    port = 3689
    admin_pw = mt-daapd
    db_type = sqlite
    db_parms = /usr/local/var/cache/mt-daapd
    mp3_dir = /share/admin/mp3
    servername = 505 tunes %v on %h
    runas = nobody
    playlist = /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.playlist
    #password = mp3
    extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p
    ssc_codectypes = ogg,flac,alac
    ssc_prog = /usr/local/bin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh
    logfile = /var/log/mt-daapd.log
    #rescan_interval = 300
    # always_scan = 0
    # process_m3u = 0
    scan_type = 2
    #compress = 0

[plugins]
    plugin_dir = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/plugins

rpedde
    Participant

@JasonB wrote:

Just in case it helps…

My mt-daapd.conf file

[general]
    web_root = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/admin-root
    port = 3689
    admin_pw = mt-daapd
    db_type = sqlite
    db_parms = /usr/local/var/cache/mt-daapd
    mp3_dir = /share/admin/mp3
    servername = 505 tunes %v on %h
    runas = nobody
    playlist = /usr/local/etc/mt-daapd.playlist
    #password = mp3
    extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p
    ssc_codectypes = ogg,flac,alac
    ssc_prog = /usr/local/bin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh
    logfile = /var/log/mt-daapd.log
    #rescan_interval = 300
    # always_scan = 0
    # process_m3u = 0
    scan_type = 2
    #compress = 0

[plugins]
    plugin_dir = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/plugins

Did you install howl? And if so, did you configure it with –enable-howl? You don’t need to, but if you configured it with howl, you have to make sure your howl mdnsresponder is running.

If you are running edgy and not sarge, then it may also ship with avahi, and that might be running. If so, then you should configure with avahi.

(although there is already a package in edgy for mt-daapd).

JasonB
    Participant

Thanks again for your help. I think that we’re getting somewhere here

I configured with :

./config –prefix=/usr/local –enable-browse –enable-query –enable-mdns –with-id3tag=/usr/local –enable-sqlite –sysconfdir=/etc

but when I execute a ‘ps -aux’ command I see

104 558 0.0 0.0 4020 28 ? Ss Apr17 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-d
    avahi 569 0.0 0.0 6472 48 ? Ss Apr17 0:00 avahi-daemon: r
    avahi 570 0.0 0.0 6472 48 ? Ss Apr17 0:00 avahi-daemon: c

102 612 0.0 0.3 10744 188 ? Ss Apr17 0:00 /usr/sbin/exim4

So I’m guessing that I configured with the wrong service?

…am I on the right track?

and, so inevitably my next question is can I just go back and repeat the steps to re-configure Firefly, or do I need to do some un-installation first?

feeling like we’re a little closer to resolution, so thanks for that!

JB>

nathanziarek
    Participant

This is pretty similar to what I am experiencing as well.

Mine shows the same “Bonjour: Stopped” on the web admin screens, but when I run:

sudo mt-daapd -f

… it fires up and I can use the share in iTunes. The web administration screen still shows Bonjour as stopped, however.

My Kinda Dup Post: http://forums.fireflymediaserver.org/viewtopic.php?t=5907

Nate

nathanziarek
    Participant

Hmmm…

I kept on playing and restarted mt-daapd using

sudo /etc/init.d/mtdaapd restart

and now it shows up in iTunes. The web screen still says Bonjour: Stopped but the rest of it seems to be working…until the next time I restart, I’m sure…

JasonB
    Participant

Thanks to some pointers from rpedde!

After I realized that avahi was running, and I’d not ./configured to use that service I killed the Avahi server and stopped it from starting on reboot with a simple change to avahi-daemon.conf in /etc/default

I then made sure that howl was in place, (multiple instances of firefly might be a goal later) reconfigured mt-daapd with

./configure –prefix=/usr/local –enable-browse –enable-query –enable-mdns –enable-howl
    –with-howl-includes=/usr/local/include/howl –with-id3tag=/usr/local –sysconfdir=/etc –enable-sqlite

started the howl service with…

/usr/local/bin/mDNSResponder

and then restarted firefly…. using the script I copied from :

http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Firefly_Openlink

…and what do you know, I’m in business!
    I can see the web interface (although Bonjour is still labelled as stopped)
    and I can more importantly get to my mp3 through iTunes on a wired and wireless PC!

I added a line to start the howl service in my firefly startup script /etc/init.d/firefly… and rebooted…. (breath held) … it worked!

Feeling the giddy high of technical success I went even further and put rendezvous on my laptop with SSHtunnel, and can now access my Linkstation firefly server on the move across the wide expanse of the interweb!

** Instructions for the Rendezvous-SSH tunnelling at:
    http://www.sevitz.com/blog/2005/03/how_to_share_your_music_via_itunes_on_the_net.asp

A big thanks the rpedde! I was lost without your help!

Regards,

Jason
    (confirmed firefly fan)

rpedde
    Participant

@JasonB wrote:

After I realized that avahi was running, and I’d not ./configured to use that service I killed the Avahi server and stopped it from starting on reboot with a simple change to avahi-daemon.conf in /etc/default

You can also use avahi if you prefer with –enable-avahi. Your preference.

Glad you got it going though. I guess I need to put a page on the configure switches.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.