Accessing a remote Firefly from a Soundbridge using Avahi

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Accessing a remote Firefly from a Soundbridge using Avahi

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with you in that it’s not a big deal to setup a tunnel or an OpenVPN connection. But since I was successful in connecting the Soundbridge to a remote Firefly with only using the Rendezvous Proxy (no tunnel, no VPN), the Soundbridge must definitely be capable of browsing remote shares. So Im still wondering what the difference between using the Rendezvous Proxy and using Avahi is.

EVILRipper
    Participant

I though RendezvousProxy actually creates a tunnel.
    I used to use it too — Rendezvousproxy at school, to point local 3689 to remote port 3689 on my server, so iTunes saw a ‘local’ music share at school.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I though RendezvousProxy actually creates a tunnel.

No – Rendezvous Proxy as well as Avahi only advertises address and port of (possibly remote) service to consumers in the local network. No tunnel will be established – neither by Rendezvous Proxy nor by Avahi. The connection to the remote end is actually being established by the local device.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This post is pretty nice!
    I’d support you 100%!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Finally I managed to access my remote server! Here is what I configured to make it work:

First I created the service configuration (/etc/avahi/services/firefly.service) which is pretty similar to what I published in my first post. Basically the only, but important difference is that I did not specify the official host name of the remote server. Instead I used a host name which is in the .local domain.

Firefly on musicbox

_daap._tcp
    local
    musicbox.local

_rsp._tcp
    local
    musicbox.local

Since the musicbox.local host name has to be resolved to the server’s official IP address, I added a static host to /etc/avahi/hosts:

11.22.33.44 musicbox.local

That’s all! Now both of my Soundbridges (A Roku and a Pinnacle) are able to connect to the remote Firefly.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.