Access a remote DAAP over SSH, the ubuntu way

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server General Discussion Access a remote DAAP over SSH, the ubuntu way

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jrs77
    Participant

Wow, my daap share is working! Thanks for this great piece of software!

I am streaming music between a ubuntu intrepid server at home and the intrepid desktop at my girlfriends house.
    Just perfect.

But it would have been really nice if the wiki here: http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/SSH_Tunnel would have the correct information for linux users. SSH tunneling is not that difficult ,

I used this on the command line:

ssh “[email protected]” -N -f -L “my local IP”:6689:localhost:3689

but it took me a few hours of googling to understand that

“mDNSProxyResponderPosix 127.0.0.1 squeal “shareName” _daap._tcp. 3689 &”

is never going to work, because it is not an option for linux users.

Ubuntu/linux users can do the same, but have to use:

avahi-publish-address -v -H “name of your host”.local -s “My daap share” _daap._tcp. 6689 &

(Note “name of your host” To find your host, look at the command line: in my case joris@ruuf:~$ ruuf is the name of my host.)

on the command line. To do this you need to install the avahi-utils.

I would like to edit the wiki, but i am not a native english speaker, so i don’t think this is a good idea… That’s why i wrote this post

BTW I am not really impressed with the music-players in ubuntu that should be able to play a daap share. Banshee is having buffering problems. Amarok doesn’t find my share. Rhythmbox sees it ,but cannot play it.

For now Exaile seems the best option. But only the 2.13 version on Intrepid. The 2.14 version from the PPA seems to have a broken DAAP plugin. I filed a bug and hopefully they will look at it. The Exaile version in hardy was broken as well.

Also I haven’t been able to find a player on Ubuntu hardy that can play my Daap share from my Intrepid server. That should be possible isn’t it? If somebody has any advice that would be appreciated.

greetings

joris

killerdrone

I got the SSH tunnel to work in just a minute using GSTM (SSH tunnel GUI) in Ubuntu 8.10, very nice 8). Now i guess it would be a good idea to only allow connections to the (unencrypted) DAAP share from localhost. Of course, this can be easily accomplished with iptables, but for various reasons i don’t want to do that. Is there an explicit way to only allow connections from localhost to mt-daapd?

One more question, if i have mt-daapd running on my laptop, and connect to a foreign WLAN for example, will the share be broadcasted in some way so that a user doesen’t have to enter my IP address and port number to connect to it? That would be a very bad idea…!

EVILRipper
    Participant

One more question, if i have mt-daapd running on my laptop, and connect to a foreign WLAN for example, will the share be broadcasted in some way so that a user doesen’t have to enter my IP address and port number to connect to it?

Yup, I believe so. iTunes only detects ‘broadcasted’ shares on the network. In this case, broadcasted by the SSH tunnel.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.