About to give up….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Thanks to the one user who responded to my earlier post.

But, no progress at all.

The only thing that works is Windows Media Connect and then only with local files (no network shares). This is no use to me.

I’ve emailed Ron Pedde, even offering to do the coding to enhance Firefly but he hasn’t responded.

Is this is a dead project with no future? 😥

I guess I’ll get a refund on the SoundBridge and I’ll be buying a Logitech SqueezeBox.

regards and bye,
    RR

Anonymous
    Inactive

Referring to your other post – it is necessary to have Bonjour/Avahi running.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Avahi is running.

Ron emailed me with some suggestions too.

It could simply be that my wireless router doesn’t pass IGMP (may it does, maybe it doesn’t). I can’t detect any IGMP packets with tcpdump.

But, I don’t know why Twonky and Windows Media Connect work – is it because they use UPnP and that is being passed?

regards,
    RR

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm, still think your issue must be around Avahi setup. I had Avahi running at the start too, it just wasn’t – by default – configured correctly.

I’ve used Ethereal/Wireshark to look at what happens on my network when a) Firefly starts, b) when iTunes starts on a second PC and c) when iTunes on the second PC opens the Firely Server.

In cases a) and b) there’s a flurry of multicast packets going out from each host where the service is starting – Ethereal shows them as MDNS (multicast DNS, obvsly) but no IGMP.

All my traffic is local to a single IP subnet so the router’s not involved other than bridging the wireless segment to the wired.

(Just noticed that my most recent Apple Airport Express – the new 802.11n version – is chatting IPv6 as well as IPv4, shall bear that in mind for any funnies)

I’ve used avahi-discovery on my Ubuntu instance to see what’s out there, here’s a snapshot of what it sees (colossus is the Ubuntu instance, helios a Nokia N800, the two Windows PCs don’t show as wkstns but one of them is hosting ‘Firefly Media Server’ while ‘Firefly svn-1696 on colussus’ is self explanatory).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Thanks for persisting with me. 🙂

I’m about to get on a for the weekend, so I’ll see what I can find out when I get back next week.

All my traffic is local to a single IP subnet so the router’s not involved other than bridging the wireless segment to the wired.

Good, mine too.

If you do “tcpdump -nn proto \igmp” on your Linux box, do you see any packets arriving when the SB is started?

I don’t, which is why I’m wondering that it may be my wireless router getting in the way.

regards,
    RR

Anonymous
    Inactive

No I don’t see any IGMP packets – my reading of IGMP is that it provides the inter-router communications for multicasting. All traffic here is on a sibgle subnet.

Another thought: check that multicast operation is enabled on “eth0” or whatever your LAN interface is on all PCs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Yes, multicast is set.

I tried the Avahi-discover and there’s nothing except my linux computer’s services.

Firefly appeared when I configured Avahi as you suggested.

The bottom line is that tcpdump shows multicast packets from the SoundBridge destined for port 1900. But no other ports.

So, either UPnP is required for Firefly to work, or every other multicast packet the SoundBridge is sending is not getting to the server.

Very frustrating!

regards,
    RR

fizze
    Participant

How exactly is your network stuff wired up, or connected wirelessly?
    Multicast issues have been discussed to death in here 😉
    Most could be solved if we can get some understanding of your network.

What kind of router, AP do you use? Model, brand, firmware?
    Did you try to wire up your soundbridge directly to your server? Does it work then?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The SB is a Pinnacle HomeMusic. It only has wireless.

I have a D-Link G604T broadband router (2 actually – one that’s on the WAN and the other is spare but is the primary wireless Access Point).

The D-Link has this firmware: V2.00B07.AU_20060901

The SB has the latest firmware – which was picked up automatically from the net when I started the unit.

There is a single LAN – 10.0.0.0/24.

The SB is assigned a fixed IP address via DHCP on one of the routers.

Hope that helps.

regards,
    RR

fizze
    Participant

You have Multicast enabled on your DLink routers, right?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.