A sorting function would be nice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ralph

Hi,

Suppose you can designate an upload folder. and while scanning this particular folder all files in there are moved to there well sorted and named folders based on they’re ID3 tags… just like Itunes.

would be nice

ralph

grommet
    Participant

IMHO, that would be invasive and beyond the scope of a basic media server. There are plenty of library management applications that do this already.

Now, if Ron wants to turn Firefly into a full media management library… more power to him. 8) Days should be 48 hours soon. πŸ˜‰

rpedde
    Participant

@grommet wrote:

Days should be 48 hours soon. πŸ˜‰

Not sure that’s enough. πŸ™‚

As far as organizing incoming directories and stuff, I’d refer the parent poster to the unix philosophy— “do one thing, and do it well”.

Besides, that actually sounds like a job for a lazy afternoon and the camel book. πŸ™‚

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

well, that sounds like a job for a plugin to me.
    maybe with cron, to scan a directory every 5 minutes or so, and then push them into the DB while mt-daapd is running.

Would that actually suffice, or is there more than that to make mt-daapd recognize them songs ?

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

well, that sounds like a job for a plugin to me.
    maybe with cron, to scan a directory every 5 minutes or so, and then push them into the DB while mt-daapd is running.

Would that actually suffice, or is there more than that to make mt-daapd recognize them songs ?

Nope, that’s it. A four or five line perl script running out of cron, I think. πŸ™‚

ralph

Hi,

sure i know there are several library tools out there. But none of them work as a service as far as i know. The power of FMS is (IMO) the fact that it runs as a service. So the feature request i suggested would realy augment the server. Sure i can fire up an App to manage my files. but that negates what i like about FMS. It runs and i never have to piss around with mp3 files ever. i only have to play them.

“do one thing well’ all depends on the definition of the one thing. adding this won’t make it worse i think

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Feature Requests’ is closed to new topics and replies.