1281 & compilation grouping

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mbaker
    Participant

Love the new compilation grouping function. Should really help to decrease the amount of artist browsing I need to do.

However, it doesn’t seem to be working consistently; only some files are being grouped. I figured it might be a database blip so I rebuilt the database and tried again but found the same thing. I’ve since used sqlite to check the contents of the DB and it seems to be correct (matches iTunes), however only some of the compilation tracks are being grouped.

Does the query for the browsing content appear in the level 9 debug? Haven’t tried that yet as it would be pretty lost in all the rescanning information.

Cheers,
    Mark

P.S. Is anyone else missing the systray icon with this release?

grommet
    Participant

You need to post more details. What compilation grouping function? You mean the “concat compilations” metadata wedge, which changes the real Artist to “Various Artists” on all the tracks (and puts the Artist in the Title of the song)? It seems to work for me… though I don’t like this feature very much.

Or just the iTunes’ Compliation flag? Or Firefly’s “compdirs”, a directory based equivalent for the Compilation flag?

What client are you using? (iTunes doesn’t need the concat wedge, since it has the ability to group flagged Compilation tracks automatically. SoundBridge, for some unknown reason, doesn’t support this currently.)

rpedde
    Participant

@mbaker wrote:

Does the query for the browsing content appear in the level 9 debug? Haven’t tried that yet as it would be pretty lost in all the rescanning information.

yes, it does.

wrt the tray icon – run it from program filesfirefly media server, then check the box labeled “start at logon” or something — can’t remember exactly what it is labeled.

— Ron

mbaker
    Participant

Hiya. Sorry for the long delay, I’ve been away. Just upgraded to the latest releases over the last week.

What sort of black magic’s happened to make it run so fast?!? It canes the CPU a bit, but I can live with that for a 400sec full build on 13000 files when the files are on a network share.

The “Various Artists” issue remains the same. To be more clear, I’m talking about the “Group Compilations” (concat_compilations) flag. I’ve got the flag set to 1 in the config file and but am not getting albums showing up under “Various Artists” as expected.

I turned on D9 and had a look at the queries and they don’t seem to be trying to filter based on compilations at that point. Is the compilation processing done at build time so that the database entry “looks” different? I’ve just done a full rebuild for 1359 and that hasn’t made a difference.

I’ve checked the database and the information appears to be accurate (compilation=1 on the songs I expect it to be).

Thoughts?
    I’m running 1359 on windows with iTunes 6.0.4.

Cheers,
    Mark

rpedde
    Participant

@mbaker wrote:

What sort of black magic’s happened to make it run so fast?!? It canes the CPU a bit, but I can live with that for a 400sec full build on 13000 files when the files are on a network share.

Ha! Ya… fundamental misunderstanding on my part about how sqlite does transactions, I think. Lesson learned, though.

The “Various Artists” issue remains the same. To be more clear, I’m talking about the “Group Compilations” (concat_compilations) flag. I’ve got the flag set to 1 in the config file and but am not getting albums showing up under “Various Artists” as expected.

concat_compilations (under the [scanning] header, right?) changes the artist of any files marked as a compilation and changes it to “Various Artists”, and changes the title to “Real Artist – Title”.

So, say… track 4 of the “Pump Up the Volume” soundtrack is “Wave of Mutilation” by the Pixies. With concat_compdirs set to 1, it would show up on the soundbridge as the song title “The Pixies – Wave of Mutilation” by “Various Artists”.

Okay. Well and good, but the trick is marking that soundtrack as files in a compilation. If these are from iTunes, you can mark them as a compilation in iTunes and mt-daapd will recognize it. Or, if you have a tagger that will set compilation tags (they don’t seem to be very standard, but I’m honoring YTCP or TCMP tags in mp3 as compilation tags, as well as the “cpil” atom in aac files), then firefly will recognize those.

If you don’t have either of those, another way would be to do it by directory. I have all my non-iTunes organized files by artist, except soundtracks, which I have in a “Various” folder.

If I set a compdirs of “/Various/”, then anything with a fullpath with “/Various/” would get it. If you named your soundtrack and stuff consistently, you might be able to use a compdirs entry like “Soundtrack/”, or maybe ” OST”.

Once you’ve got those, you’ll have to do a full rescan, as those get doctored up in the database at the time they are initially inserted into the database.

I turned on D9 and had a look at the queries and they don’t seem to be trying to filter based on compilations at that point. Is the compilation processing done at build time so that the database entry “looks” different? I’ve just done a full rebuild for 1359 and that hasn’t made a difference.

Uh, yeah, see above.

I’ve checked the database and the information appears to be accurate (compilation=1 on the songs I expect it to be).

Should have read the whole post first, obviously. 🙂

The only thing I can think is that concat_compilations isn’t in the [scanning] section.

— Ron

mbaker
    Participant

Hiya. Just finished a full rebuild (deleted the database file; took 5min rather than 3 hours – crazy!) but the compilation files aren’t being adjusted on load.

I used the web interface to change the settings and it looks like this in the config file:

truncate = 1
    logfile = firefly.log
    debuglevel = 5
    password =

[plugins]
    plugin_dir = C:Program FilesFirefly Media Serverplugins
    plugins = rsp.dll,w32-event.dll,ssc-ffmpeg.dll,ssc-wma.dll
    [scanning]
    concat_compilations = 1

Here’s a partial dump from the database. It’s definitely picking up the compilation flag but not doing anything with it.

sqlite> select title,artist from songs where compilation=1 and title like 'O%';
    Overjoyed|Stevie Wonder
    Orange Crush|Editors
    One|Johnny Cash
    Out Of Space|The Prodigy
    Oh My Gosh|Basement Jaxx

What should I try next?

Cheers,
    Mark

rpedde
    Participant

@mbaker wrote:

What should I try next?

I tracked this down. Seems that it does it right, then as soon as it grabs the iTunes xml file, it “fixes” the artist and title back to the correct values based on the iTunes XML file.

Oops.

Fixed in r1368 — You’ll see it in next nightlies.

— Ron

mbaker
    Participant

sweet. thanks.
    M

mbaker
    Participant

It’s working completely perfectly. Nice one.
    M

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.