1236 and 2.5.157 and iTunes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tri
    Participant

Hello

I got to say that last mt-daapd that I’ve got working nicely with sound bridge was 1018, but that didn’t work with my iTunes. Today, I decided that I finally look into the new version.

First positive sign was that now it seems to work with iTunes. It also seems automatically skip ssc for iTunes when streaming alac. I don’t know how it does this. Is this somehow built in, because configuration doesn’t show anything of the kind.

After upgrading sound bridge m2000 to 2.5.157, my mt-daapd server disappeared from the server list. OK, plugins were not properly configured. Actually “make install” doesn’t seem to honor configure –libdir in plugin installation, but instead it stores them under PREFIX/share which should contain architecture independent data. Another “make install” annoyance is that nowadays it seems to nuke the config file, which is really stupid.

After adding

[plugins]
    plugin_dir = /usr/local/share/mt-daapd/plugins
    plugins = rsp.so,ssc-script.so

to the config file, the server appeared again in sound bridge. The one appearing there must be the RSP instance, I suppose. At least there is no longer any method to select it.

With iTunes everything worked really nicely. Better than ever before. With SB everything was like from the early days of ssc and sb interoperability. Selecting “browse artists from my 23000 song repository had sporadic “can’t load browse data” errors. Selecting a song also sometimes caused “can’t play song” error. I haven’t seen these ones for a while. “preparing to play track” also took somewhat annoyingly long every now and then.

There must be some kind of interoperability issue with SB firmware, since it doesn’t seem to be able find mt-daapd running without RSP. At the same time iTunes found mt-daapd immediately.

I accept that RSP is development code and is still constantly changed and therefore a little unstable. Anyways, as a fallback option, there should be a way to use DAAP instead of RSP in SB.

Anyways, it’s nice to see that this product is actively developed.

Regards,
    –Rinne

grommet
    Participant

In the release notes of the the last two SoundBridge beta builds, you’ll clearly see a new feature that “hides” DAAP for Firefly. To decrease user confusion, they decided to hide DAAP so users wouldn’t see two Firefly servers on the SoundBridge. RSP is the recommended transport for SoundBridge + Firefly now.

rpedde
    Participant

@tri wrote:

First positive sign was that now it seems to work with iTunes. It also seems automatically skip ssc for iTunes when streaming alac. I don’t know how it does this. Is this somehow built in, because configuration doesn’t show anything of the kind.

Generally I’d like to have a configurable list of codecs per user-agent, but for now I’ve hardcoded native codecs for iTunes and SB and assume reasonable defaults for others.

Not ideal, but no worse than before, and has the advantages of not transcoding alac to iTunes, or wma to SB.

After upgrading sound bridge m2000 to 2.5.157, my mt-daapd server disappeared from the server list. OK, plugins were not properly configured. Actually “make install” doesn’t seem to honor configure –libdir in plugin installation, but instead it stores them under PREFIX/share which should contain architecture independent data. Another “make install” annoyance is that nowadays it seems to nuke the config file, which is really stupid.

Yeah, but I don’t believe that libdir is the right place for it either. Isn’t libdir for linkable libraries, i.e. destinations for -l libs? I seriously don’t know where the right place is, or what the automake variable is for that location.

I dunno. I can’t figure the auto* stuff out, and everything about it is a complete train wreck. Undocumented train wreck, at that.

Certainly the config stuff should be sysconfdir, but I think I won’t even bother doing that. I’ll just not install anything, and let package maintainers do what they want with it.

I accept that RSP is development code and is still constantly changed and therefore a little unstable. Anyways, as a fallback option, there should be a way to use DAAP instead of RSP in SB.

I don’t disagree with that, but it’s not my call.

Anyways, it’s nice to see that this product is actively developed.

such that it is.

tri
    Participant

Hi

Actually now that I’ve been running 1236 for a while, it seems to work quite well. Maybe my initial reaction was a bit hasty. However, occasional browse timeout is there and installation/configuration issues above are valid. However, it seems to work.

Regards,
    –tri

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.