0.2.4 and transcoding

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mariuss

It looks like version 0.2.4 which I just compiled and installed on my AMD64 machine does not support transcoding. Is this correct?

How stable are the nightlies? Is there a particular one you would recommend (for being more stable)?

How far is the next stable release?

Thanks,
    Marius

rpedde
    Participant

@mariuss wrote:

It looks like version 0.2.4 which I just compiled and installed on my AMD64 machine does not support transcoding. Is this correct?

Yup, that’s correct

How stable are the nightlies? Is there a particular one you would recommend (for being more stable)?

There are some problems with races on multi-core machines, but I think you have to exercise it pretty heavily to run across it. there is also a memory leak when parsing iTunes XML files.

That said, I’ve been running 1171 since Jun 2 on my “production” slug. That’s what I actually listen to music from, and it’s been up continuously since then, being used several hours a day every day.

So it seem to be stable enough. Proof is in the pudding, though. Or whatever.

How far is the next stable release?

Close. Pretty much in feature freeze for bug stompage at this point.

mariuss

I compiled svn-1249 on a dual core amd64 machine, under Dapper.

I sort of got it running, but there were a few problems:
    – there is no mt-daapd.playlist file under contrib and the old one I had does not seem to work (it gets ignored)
    – the new binary looks for its configuration file under /usr/local/etc, even if I use –sysconfdir=/ with configure
    – transcoding works ๐Ÿ˜† , but it generates this error for every song:

wavstreamer: Write failed.
    Error writing to file: Broken pipe
    Got CLD signal. Reaping

I noticed that there is a debian folder. Can I use it somehow to generate a proper .deb file? How?

Thanks,
    Marius

rpedde
    Participant

@mariuss wrote:

– there is no mt-daapd.playlist file under contrib and the old one I had does not seem to work (it gets ignored)

Yes. playlists are now stored in the database and are managed from the “smart playlist” tab on the web interface.

– the new binary looks for its configuration file under /usr/local/etc, even if I use –sysconfdir=/ with configure

Bug I thought was fixed this drop, but wasn’t. Will be next drop.

– transcoding works ๐Ÿ˜† , but it generates this error for every song:

wavstreamer: Write failed.
    Error writing to file: Broken pipe
    Got CLD signal. Reaping

I’ll check the debug level on those, but those should really only be errors in the debug sense.. they are normal errors.

I noticed that there is a debian folder. Can I use it somehow to generate a proper .deb file? How?

a “fakeroot debian/rules binary” should do it, although you might have to change the changelog to get the right version and whatnot — my makedist script doesn’t update the debian stuff.

— Ron

mariuss

@rpedde wrote:

Yes. playlists are now stored in the database and are managed from the “smart playlist” tab on the web interface.

I see. But then you should remove the playlist option from the mt-daapd.conf file, right?

a “fakeroot debian/rules binary” should do it, although you might have to change the changelog to get the right version and whatnot — my makedist script doesn’t update the debian stuff.

I will play with the Debian stuff to see how it work. Thanks for the hint. Do you plan to update the makedist script so it takes care of debian as well?

Thanks,
    Marius

rpedde
    Participant

@mariuss wrote:

I see. But then you should remove the playlist option from the mt-daapd.conf file, right?

Yeah.

I will play with the Debian stuff to see how it work. Thanks for the hint. Do you plan to update the makedist script so it takes care of debian as well?

Actually, I plan on removing the debian cruft from the actual tarball, as it makes it harder for people that actually know how to properly package debian packages from doing it. I’ll probably leave it in svn, as I might make it part of my release builds.

I sometimes think that probably the best thing to do would be not to do any kind of distro packaging at all, since a crappy package that’s good enough probably doesn’t attract anyone to make a better one, whereas having no package would spur people to make a package — almost certainly a better one than I can make.

DavesNotHereMan
    Participant

I’ve compiled mt-daapd before and done a by-hand install (i.e., not made a .deb), and am probably close to the point where I can make a deb for my AMD64-SMP starting-all-over-again-in-Etch system, and I wonder whether I should bother.

I note you have some kind of race condition on SMP, and I do prize the server staying up 24x7x365. Will mt-daapd get anything important out of a dual core or even a 64-bit single-core system that I wouldn’t get by installing the i386 deb? It’s not like I think the processor will be severely loaded by anything that I expect mt-daapd to be doing on my network.

Should I expect that i386 .deb to work at all on AMD64?

Will the Linux version ever take on the Firefly name?

…and for my own two cents, I quite like the idea that you have a Debian package available – looking at it from the Debian side, software never seems complete to me now if it hasn’t been packaged.

D

rpedde
    Participant

@DavesNotHereMan wrote:

I note you have some kind of race condition on SMP, and I do prize the server staying up 24x7x365.

It shouldn’t have any races for the last few nightlies. If so, I’d like to hear it.

Will mt-daapd get anything important out of a dual core or even a 64-bit single-core system that I wouldn’t get by installing the i386 deb? It’s not like I think the processor will be severely loaded by anything that I expect mt-daapd to be doing on my network.

It will still use multiple cores, even with a i386 deb. But no, I don’t expect that there would be any significant performance difference.

Should I expect that i386 .deb to work at all on AMD64?

Dunno, but I think so, on debian.

Will the Linux version ever take on the Firefly name?

Yup, but I can’t rename the project on sf, so I’m going to end up moving it to my own svn server. I just need time to do that. Soonish, though.

…and for my own two cents, I quite like the idea that you have a Debian package available – looking at it from the Debian side, software never seems complete to me now if it hasn’t been packaged.

Yeah, me too, but the package isn’t great. I wish someone who knew debian packaging well could help.

— Ron

DavesNotHereMan
    Participant

What’s the issue with the current .deb? I’m a neophyte at packaging, but am curious about it – I got MythTV 0.19 to package (using the work of many other people) and don’t know what’s the big deal. (being clear here – I’m not the release packager for that project – I packaged one I built myself after some changes)

Is it the dependencies? The various distros? Signing?

BTW – nice avatar…

D

rpedde
    Participant

@DavesNotHereMan wrote:

What’s the issue with the current .deb? I’m a neophyte at packaging, but am curious about it – I got MythTV 0.19 to package (using the work of many other people) and don’t know what’s the big deal. (being clear here – I’m not the release packager for that project – I packaged one I built myself after some changes)

Is it the dependencies? The various distros? Signing?

BTW – nice avatar…

D

A lot of it isn’t the packaging, per se. Shared libs are going in the wrong place, but that’s a autotools problem, some of the documentation stuff isn’t compressed like it should be by debian packaging requirements. Missing a man page, by debian packaging requirements.

Dunno… lots of little stuff, really. Should make a secure working default config. Make make a dialog to prompt to admin password.

Just needs to be cleaned up a fair bit. It’s just… not as nice as a real debian package. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh, and the avatar? I had just started re-watching eva for the nth time about the same time I put up the new phpbb. How could I not? With Rei, a toss-up for the best character, imho.

— Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.