Reply To: cvs-20050320 issues: Playlists, intern. char.

Gonzo
Participant

Hi Ron,

thank you for your answers, they helped me a lot!

Playlists – With the sql backend, there are no playlists. (!) The playlists are actually sql “where clauses”. Check the nightlies page on the example on how to add playlists manually. Eventually, there will be a web-based interface for adding and editing playlists. I still haven’t decided how to handle static playlists (.m3u) and how to convert existing smart playlists. (perl script, maybe?)

Oops, I must have overlooked that part in the nightlies page :laugh:. So I get to use that SQL knowledge that was sitting in the basement of my mind for some time… Just tried adding a playlist and it worked like a charm. I wonder where iTunes stores it’s playlists and if they are easy to access and read out, I bet it’s XML. Couldn’t find them in obvious places though…

The other problem isn’t a utf-8 problem (I don’t think), it’s the single quote. I want to say that’s fixed in cvs. I’ll roll another nightly out this weekend that includes that fix.

Thank you, I’m looking forward to every new build!

As far as speed – the soundbridge connects using browse and query commands — it browses the database as opposed to sucking down the whole thing, like iTunes does. So iTunes initial connect is going to be slow, as it has to pull down a huge clump of data.

Got it. Makes perfect sense now.

How fast does mt-daapd compare using iTunes as a client versus with a real iTunes server and client? It should be pretty close to native speed, I’d think.

Just did a few tests:
[list4f0b836322]
[*] mt-daapd on Cobalt Qube (300 MHz) to iBook over 11Mbps WLAN is approx. 1:00-1:15 minutes.
[*] iTunes on iBook to iTunes on a Windows XP box over 11Mbps WLAN is approx. 0:15 minutes.

My database has a size of 7129 songs which were scanned by mt-daapd on the Qube in 56 seconds upon startup in mode 0. Nearly all songs are .m4a, only a few are .mp3. My songs.db file is approx. 11.4 MB.

Of course my 11 Mbit WLAN network is quite busy: The SoundBridge is now playing smoothjazz.com off the net and my fiancee is browsing the web while I’m doing all of this.

Top reports the mt-daapd process in the 1-35% range of CPU usage, most of the time it’s in the