Reply To: Scanning outside of the specified directories?

Anonymous
Inactive

@EVILRipper wrote:

It scans recursively. The only reason it should/could scan other directories is when there is a symbolic link somewhere in those directories, pointing somewhere else. For example, if you have mounted /media/sda9 to your own harddisk, it will scan your whole filesystem.

I figured it scans recursively, but it should scan only the specified directories.

I have mounted the partition /dev/sda9 into the /media/sda9 location.

If by “when there is a symbolic link somewhere in those directories, pointing somewhere else” you mean that if there is a symlink somewhere in /media/sda9 pointing to the, say, “/home/user/something” location, then it would be OK if it would only scan “/home/user/something” (if such a location exists).

What I find counter-intuitive (and devious haha) is the fact that it scans all /home/user.

Surely, the majority of people would perceive the expression “recursing scan” as a scan done in “the/specified/directory/” and “the/specified/directory/and/all/its/subdirectories/”, i.e. a “downward” recurse, not an “upward” one.

It’s confusing to perceive a “recursing scan” in “the/specified/directory/” as a scan done also in “/the/parent/of/the/specified/directory”.

Wait, does what I’m saying here make sense? : )