The case for reviving Firefly

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    RigasW
    Participant

I was glad to hear that Ron is still alive ….

Rigas

nschertz
    Participant

Andrew,

Don’t listen to the nay-sayers. Keep moving forward.

nschertz
    Participant

Any chance Ron would lend a hand, if even occasional or part-time? My be what’s needed to get this project headed in a successful direction.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@andrew40 wrote:

Maybe instead of telling me how wrong I am actually doing it, you might like to suggest a way forward that we could embrace and take this project forward.

I gave you the way forward: code. It’s all my post was about.

Code goes first, not the other way around. Nobody here has been able to come forward with a patch for the past 2 years. Read the threads and you’ll see for yourself; replies to help requests have been limited to Windows-style black magic. Believe me, there are lots of bugs in the current codebase that could have been patched already. But there’s just nobody here looking seriously at the code.

Anonymous

@nschertz wrote:

Any chance Ron would lend a hand, if even occasional or part-time? My be what’s needed to get this project headed in a successful direction.

Ron is interested in keeping it alive – and if there is added interest it may persuade him to help out more when time allows from his current role. He is certainly more interested and answering my emails very promptly, and helping me enormously.

Anonymous

@jblache wrote:

@andrew40 wrote:

Maybe instead of telling me how wrong I am actually doing it, you might like to suggest a way forward that we could embrace and take this project forward.

I gave you the way forward: code. It’s all my post was about.

Code goes first, not the other way around. Nobody here has been able to come forward with a patch for the past 2 years. Read the threads and you’ll see for yourself; replies to help requests have been limited to Windows-style black magic. Believe me, there are lots of bugs in the current codebase that could have been patched already. But there’s just nobody here looking seriously at the code.

You gave me the way forward – interesting …so should I give up now?

w1ll14m
    Participant

@EVILRipper wrote:

Ye, I hope we can get firefly’s development from the ground again. I recently graduated as Bachelor on software engineering, but started a new education this week to become Master.
    Therefore I have little time to help, but I would love to. I guess we’ll have to determine a focus as to what point we should improve firefly.
    For example, as said in this topic, we could focus on supporting as many devices as possible, attracting a bigger variety of people.
    Or, for example, we could aim to get firefly to support video.

I have managed to use the transcoding script to transcode nearly any video using ffmpeg to flv format, which can be streamed to an embedded flv player.
    I wrote a php script which lists and parses all video’s from firefly, creating a list of video’s, making firefly able to stream video’s to the browser.

Also, if we get uPnP working, I bet a lot more people would be interested aswell. Maybe even include DLNA support, if that is possible. (not sure what it is :))

Therefore, firefly’s possibilities are unlimited. It could really be so much more.

I’m very intrested in your transcoding scripts.
    I have written a php frontend based on extjs and a lot of custom created ajax functions and complicated encryption options (logon and on-the-fly page encryption using aes).
    It uses flash player to play music, on the fly creation of m3u playlists (needs improvement, is being worked on).
    I also created a ‘proxy’ script. for fetching http item from mt-daapd http server including support for partial content (makes seeking possible in external apps using daap script i created like winamp, mplayer)
    I’m willing to setup a demo if interested and share all the code i created which of course isn’t licensed in anyway (except extjs which is licensed for non-commercial use) and free for anybody who likes it for code or usage.

Let me know! 😉

Ontopic, i would be pleased if mt-daapd will be revived, i do not have the coding skills in c or c++ but i can do javascript, html, a little css, php and the usual stuff

Anonymous

If both you guys [EvilRipper][w1II14m] can give me your details then we can start building a team to sort out what we need to do..

andrew [at] parysnet.net

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

I posted a question about serving radio streams here. While searching I found references to 2 resources that are now missing. In the process of reviving Firefly could you please check with Ron if these resources could be recovered :

– Everybody seems to refer to instructions to stream audio in http://wiki.mt-daapd.org/wiki/Streaming_Audio. This link is dead.

– There is a thread with the same question I am asking, and Ron provided a working example http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/kut.zip. This link is dead. The original thread is here.

Thanks

mbaker
    Participant

I’m long past my coding days but am a professional writer/communicator who can help with the wiki and forum and also test on two platforms (Windows and Buffalo NAS).

My svn-1586 still works great on my Buffalo but I’d love to see a newer version…

Good luck at getting this moving again!

Cheers,
    Mark

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 136 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.