The case for reviving Firefly

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello.

I would also like to help. I’ve coming to this forum regularly (even if in the last months it was mainly only SPAM).
    During some time I could not stay without checking every day for the nightlies.

Time, few. But any help is better than nothing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK.

I have to create a new post to avoid to create again my user on the new board.

😀

honerjetso
    Participant

Just registered to say “Good work on getting this moving”.. I have been using mt_daapd for some time now, on various systems and although my main use is to stream to iTunes I have always thought it could be capable of much much more.

Keep up the good work….

I rarely register on forums and the never found much of an interest on this one due to the spam but just reading through the last two months of this post has given me a smile.. Go go go…. IMO a single point for a straight forward media server is the way to go.. Multi device and multi media (Video, audio). Make the dream big 🙂

S80_UK
    Participant

And I’m still here too (been here 3 years now) – running Firefly under Debian at present. Due to professional commitments I have limited time to assist on the development side, but I would like to help keep Firefly alive if I can, even if only by occasional testing.

Anonymous

Guys

I am ready to start the development process in favour and as a higher priority to the forum, but have had not had any hard responses back yet from people who can aid in development.

I will have access to the sourceforge project soon and looking at re building everything, but I cannot do it on my own with just a couple of moderators. I need developers…

Anonymous

@bikerbudmatt wrote:

Hello and coming late to the party…

I happened across this forum TODAY, while configuring the Firefly server embedded in my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that I’m just setting up now.

Among other things, I’ve realized that I’m going to have to post three of these suckers to avoid getting nuked as a spammer. 😮

One thing you should consider as you get involved with reviving Firefly (which so far is working flawlessly for me on a Snow Leopard Mac with iTunes 9.0.1, though I don’t yet have everything configured) is that I found this board through the link embedded into the Firefly Server. I’m not sure from the discussion how you plan to migrate the forum, but I’d recommend that you leave good tracks so that legitimate users can find you.

I’m an experienced group moderator, BTW; but you don’t know me and I don’t know you so it’s too soon to offer that kind of help.

bikerbudmatt

I am not deleting all posters with less than two, just the ones I did on the day that have been inactive and spamming…Its not an ongoing thing just to get the database to a manageable size.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@andrew40 wrote:

I am ready to start the development process in favour and as a higher priority to the forum, but have had not had any hard responses back yet from people who can aid in development.

I will have access to the sourceforge project soon and looking at re building everything, but I cannot do it on my own with just a couple of moderators. I need developers…

I’m afraid to tell you, but you’ve got several problems here.

First and foremost, your approach is completely wrong. That’s not how you take over an opensource project. Not even close. All you’ve done so far is talk talk talk and none of what you’ve said or done actually matters. Also the way you’ve been pushing this, the way you’ve written the above and the mention of your company in past posts makes this all the more suspicious to me.

Now, as far as developers go, the more it goes, the more I doubt there are many people here familiar with the current codebase and general principles behind what mt-daapd actually does. Which means you’ll find little help here…

As much as I’d like to see development pick up again, this does not look like the start of something that’ll work out.

Anonymous

@jblache wrote:

@andrew40 wrote:

I’m afraid to tell you, but you’ve got several problems here.

First and foremost, your approach is completely wrong. That’s not how you take over an opensource project. Not even close. All you’ve done so far is talk talk talk and none of what you’ve said or done actually matters. Also the way you’ve been pushing this, the way you’ve written the above and the mention of your company in past posts makes this all the more suspicious to me.

Now, as far as developers go, the more it goes, the more I doubt there are many people here familiar with the current codebase and general principles behind what mt-daapd actually does. Which means you’ll find little help here…

As much as I’d like to see development pick up again, this does not look like the start of something that’ll work out.

Thanks for your comments. There are several problems I am trying to iron out to take this further. If I took your comments to heart I could give up now and then where would we be? Maybe instead of telling me how wrong I am actually doing it, you might like to suggest a way forward that we could embrace and take this project forward.

At the moment all I am doing is securing the source, stabilising the forum, setting up a new site and forum, and getting a team to together with experience and a will to move this forward. If you want to give some advice and help take this project forward then please stick your hand up and say I’m in, otherwise any advice is greatly appreciated, but don’t ‘dis’ a project before its started.

thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

@andrew40 wrote:

@bikerbudmatt wrote:

Hello and coming late to the party…

Among other things, I’ve realized that I’m going to have to post three of these suckers to avoid getting nuked as a spammer. 😮 …

bikerbudmatt

I am not deleting all posters with less than two, just the ones I did on the day that have been inactive and spamming…Its not an ongoing thing just to get the database to a manageable size.

Thanks, Andrew.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Andrew! you are right all of the readers should have a positive response and try to suggest you something good,to carry on this project forward !

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 136 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.