The case for reviving Firefly

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    EVILRipper
    Participant

Is the question/answer something you made up yourself? If so, it will indeed keep the spam away.
    I also agree in the users without posts. I would even agree to delete users with 1 or 2 posts. Would you care if your account on a forum got deleted where you posted 2 messages? I wouldn’t.

Edit: I did a quick check. Deleting all users with # of posts <= 2, the user count would lower to 21 pages.
    Deleting # of posts = 0 would equal 46 pages. As the # of members is spread over almost 500 pages, I guess we can delete quite some users. 🙂

Anonymous

@EVILRipper wrote:

Is the question/answer something you made up yourself? If so, it will indeed keep the spam away.
    I also agree in the users without posts. I would even agree to delete users with 1 or 2 posts. Would you care if your account on a forum got deleted where you posted 2 messages? I wouldn’t.

Edit: I did a quick check. Deleting all users with # of posts <= 2, the user count would lower to 21 pages.
    Deleting # of posts = 0 would equal 46 pages. As the # of members is spread over almost 500 pages, I guess we can delete quite some users. 🙂

All inactive and de-activated users now deleted, all posts that represent spam now deleted. All users with 1 post have also been deleted and am now systematically trawling through the posts looking for keywords.

I think this should be ready to archive very soon and transferred to more up-to-date forum.

I am still toying with continuing with phpbb3 or moving to a more simpler structure such as bbpress, where controlling spam can be a lot simpler. PHPBB3 is great but can be a bit overly complex when you want to do simple things.

Doing some import tests now…

Anonymous

Anyone know how to make this a sticky as will be moving to new forum and site soon and will need to make announcements..

stretch
    Participant

Use the quick mod tools at the bottom of the page.
    I’ve already stickied this topic.

When we’re ready for the move i was going to post a new “Global” post

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello and coming late to the party…

I happened across this forum TODAY, while configuring the Firefly server embedded in my Netgear ReadyNAS Duo that I’m just setting up now.

Among other things, I’ve realized that I’m going to have to post three of these suckers to avoid getting nuked as a spammer. 😮

One thing you should consider as you get involved with reviving Firefly (which so far is working flawlessly for me on a Snow Leopard Mac with iTunes 9.0.1, though I don’t yet have everything configured) is that I found this board through the link embedded into the Firefly Server. I’m not sure from the discussion how you plan to migrate the forum, but I’d recommend that you leave good tracks so that legitimate users can find you.

I’m an experienced group moderator, BTW; but you don’t know me and I don’t know you so it’s too soon to offer that kind of help.

bikerbudmatt

Anonymous
    Inactive

Forgive these two superfluous messages…

bikerbudmatt

Anonymous
    Inactive

…but I have to get my posting count up quickly!

Thanks,

bikerbudmatt

stretch
    Participant

@andrew40 wrote:

All inactive and de-activated users now deleted, all posts that represent spam now deleted. All users with 1 post have also been deleted and am now systematically trawling through the posts looking for keywords.

I’m still seeing 22,500 members with 0 posts 😕

gmichelson
    Participant

All,

As much as cleaning up the forum seems like a high priority item, reviving development of Firefly looks like more important one to me – but it’s getting lost in the thread…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree the development should be more important than preserving old and maybe obsolete postings.

I can help with compiling Firefly for WinXP, Vista, Windows 7, OS X 10.5, OS X 10.6.

Please let’s move forward.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.