So now I have gone and made soup of it all…

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues So now I have gone and made soup of it all…

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    davesanti
    Participant

Thanks, guys.. I am in Northern California, just North of San Francisco.

I think I was able to do it so quickly because I have spent so much time thinking about this stuf, tryign and re trying various things that all the screens, menus, choices became easy.

I formatted the HDD with a different XP machine while I did the other work.

Let me clarify everything was up and running in less then an hour. It took another 20 minutes or so the format the HDD with the Slug to ext3. The biggest time eater wre the 1) flash of the firmware, reboots of the Slug which seem to take 3 – 4 minutes each and the format of the mem stick to ext3 which took 5 – 10 minutes.

I finally got some sleep last night… and the Slug seems happy..

And the kicker…the drive was spun down and silent when I got up this morning. As soon as I turned the Rolu on and cliked on FF, it spun up and found my stuff in seconds. I noticed no delay difference from turning things on when the drive is running.

I dont need to access the Music everyday or more then a few hours at a time so I wanted a solution that will allow the drive to spin down. The reason for all this runaround is the first time I did this, I used the HDD only and it would never spin down.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

rpedde
    Participant

@davesanti wrote:

Thanks, guys.. I am in Northern California, just North of San Francisco.

I think I was able to do it so quickly because I have spent so much time thinking about this stuf, tryign and re trying various things that all the screens, menus, choices became easy.

I formatted the HDD with a different XP machine while I did the other work.

Let me clarify everything was up and running in less then an hour. It took another 20 minutes or so the format the HDD with the Slug to ext3. The biggest time eater wre the 1) flash of the firmware, reboots of the Slug which seem to take 3 – 4 minutes each and the format of the mem stick to ext3 which took 5 – 10 minutes.

I finally got some sleep last night… and the Slug seems happy..

And the kicker…the drive was spun down and silent when I got up this morning. As soon as I turned the Rolu on and cliked on FF, it spun up and found my stuff in seconds. I noticed no delay difference from turning things on when the drive is running.

I dont need to access the Music everyday or more then a few hours at a time so I wanted a solution that will allow the drive to spin down. The reason for all this runaround is the first time I did this, I used the HDD only and it would never spin down.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

Now you can install debian on the other one. 🙂

— Ron

davesanti
    Participant

Well I can try anyway, Ron..

Dave

davesanti
    Participant

Ron, the problem with the old slug (and why I gave up on it) is that it doesnt appear on the network anymore. I can boot it up without a drive and it seems to do OK. but I cant find it, I cant telnet to it and I cant get the gui up… if I could get back into it I might be able to do something with it.

Dave

sonichouse
    Participant

The slug has a default IP address of 192.168.1.77.

If your new (working)slug is already running on that IP address, your old one will not be seenon the network.

If that is the case, change the IP of the one that you can get to, and see if that works.

rpedde
    Participant

@sonichouse wrote:

The slug has a default IP address of 192.168.1.77.

If your new (working)slug is already running on that IP address, your old one will not be seenon the network.

If that is the case, change the IP of the one that you can get to, and see if that works.

Good call. If you set your ip address on your workstation to something on the 192.168.1 network, then you might be able to ping and/or get to the web admin page.

If all else fails, you can always upslug it, too: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/RecoverFromABadFlash

And if *that* fails, you can always solder in a serial connection and reflash it from redboot.

— Ron

davesanti
    Participant

The old slug wouldnt appear on the network before I got the new one.. that what prompted me to get it.

I reflashed it with stock firmware using sercom but it still doesnt come up.

Dave

fizze
    Participant

Are you sure your local network is in the 192.168.1.0 range? 😉
    Also, stepping down from an unslung slug doesnt work just as easy as flashing through the webinterface afaik.
    Are you sure the flash with sercomm went alright?

richdunlop
    Participant

Hi Dave,

I’ve just caught up with this thread. Can I ask you a couple of questions. When you set the dead slug up did you assign it a static IP or did you set it up to use dhcp? If dhcp which router are you using?

The symptoms you’re seeing are reminiscent of a ‘bricking’ I had a few months ago that was cause by a nasty (and rare) interaction between my router firmware and the slug dhcp network stack.

Thanks,
    Rich

davesanti
    Participant

Rich, the router is a Linsksys (no wireless on it) that works with Vonage. For setup, I didnt assign anything to it, so I assume DHCP.

Fizze, the Sercom flash appeared to go fine… The web interface found the Slug…it went through the initial clearing .. loading and verifying.. took about 5 – 10 minutes and all looked good.

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.