Roku Can’t See Linkstation Live/Firefly

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Roku Can’t See Linkstation Live/Firefly

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    cezza
    Participant

@Kaiten wrote:

At present I can see nothing that would stop the LinkStation from carrying out the task. Unfortunately I don’t have a Ruku Box to fully test this out.

Thanks for looking at that. I was looking over at one of the Roku forums and noticed a thread that mentioned that Firefly couldn’t be seen when running WEP over the wireless…

As I type this I’ve remembered that I’ve tried this both wired and wireless, so that’s just a red herring… Hurumph.

rpedde
    Participant

@cezza wrote:

@Kaiten wrote:

At present I can see nothing that would stop the LinkStation from carrying out the task. Unfortunately I don’t have a Ruku Box to fully test this out.

Thanks for looking at that. I was looking over at one of the Roku forums and noticed a thread that mentioned that Firefly couldn’t be seen when running WEP over the wireless…

As I type this I’ve remembered that I’ve tried this both wired and wireless, so that’s just a red herring… Hurumph.

Uhh, not to be crazy, but have you tried unplugging your sb and plugging it back in?

Every once in a while my sb comes up and will see stuff but won’t connect. When I unplug it and plug it in again, it stops acting stupid.

Probably you’ve already tried something this obvious…

cezza
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Do you have a mac that you can run the bonjour browser on?

As it happens I do (although I dual-boot Vista, so don’t actually use MacOS on a day-to-day basis.) What would I be looking for?

FYI, with Kaiten’s help we’ve proved that Firefly’s broadcasting by connecting to it with iTunes (both wired and wireless).

cezza
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Uhh, not to be crazy, but have you tried unplugging your sb and plugging it back in?

Ended up having to do this as I booted into safe mode and found I had to have a wired connection to retrograded the firmware, so ended up having to disconnect the SoundBridge and move it the room where my ethernet ports were…

rpedde
    Participant

@cezza wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Do you have a mac that you can run the bonjour browser on?

As it happens I do (although I dual-boot Vista, so don’t actually use MacOS on a day-to-day basis.) What would I be looking for?

FYI, with Kaiten’s help we’ve proved that Firefly’s broadcasting by connecting to it with iTunes (both wired and wireless).

Firefly actually advertises two services. one is _daap._tcp, which is what iTunes looks for, the other is _daap._rsp, which is what the soundbridge looks for.

See if you can see the server advertising _daap._rsp with a valid ip address and what not with the bonjour browser.

And it definitely doesn’t work on a wired connection right next to the server?

Crazy.

The other thing would be to check fundamental networking… subnet masks the same across the board? that’s an obvious “can’t see broadcast” problem.

cezza
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Firefly actually advertises two services. one is _daap._tcp, which is what iTunes looks for, the other is _daap._rsp, which is what the soundbridge looks for.

See if you can see the server advertising _daap._rsp with a valid ip address and what not with the bonjour browser.

Didn’t know that – I’ll give the Bonjour browser a go – also thought I’d try installing Firefly under MacOS to see if the SB can see that…

cezza
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

So I booted into MacOS and downloaded the Bonjour Browser, and hey presto, all three (I think it’s three) services were broadcasting!

Which doesn’t really help matters.

So for a laugh I reconfigured my wireless network, re-enabling SSID broadcasting and disabling WEP.

So now I have a totally unsecure wireless network.

But I can see Firefly on my SB!

sonichouse
    Participant

I run a WEP encrypted network that both my SB machines use.

I also lock the network down to known MAC addresses as well.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I might have tried turning off the SSID broadcast – and I think the SB failed at that point.

I would recommend that you at the minimum turn WEP back on.

sonichouse
    Participant

A quick search of the Roku forum suggests that the naming of the SSID is case sensitive and the SB may have problems with spaces in the name if broadcasting is turned off.

Discusssed http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=4542 and http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=4325

cezza
    Participant

@Kaiten wrote:

I’ve reconfigured my wireless network, and my SB now sees Firefly. Just need to determine which bit of network reconfig did the trick…

Many thanks for the time you’ve taken looking into this for me…

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.