Port forwarding advice please

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Osik
    Participant

well no need to setup an pc with firefly if your soundbridge works like charm testing it in the room next to your wifi router.

now i would say, and i remember somehow, that wpa encryption changes the keys every 60 minutes but save the before used key for further 10 minutes. if your soundbridge doesn’t renew the key it disconnects after 70 minutes.

but i’m not really sure. fact is your belkin is misconfigured somehow. don’t have to be your error, could be a mistake by belkin.

but i have no idea how to fix this ๐Ÿ™

regards

Osik

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Osik
    Thanks for the response,
    @Osik wrote:

now i would say, and i remember somehow, that wpa encryption changes the keys every 60 minutes but save the before used key for further 10 minutes. if your soundbridge doesn’t renew the key it disconnects after 70 minutes.

I wasn’t aware of that, and it certainly would make sense. I guess the easy way to test it, is to turn off all security for a couple of hours and see if it makes a difference. I will try this and report back.

@Osik wrote:

but i’m not really sure. fact is your belkin is misconfigured somehow. don’t have to be your error, could be a mistake by belkin.

hmmm, probably my error, I dread going near the Belkin, it is a nightmare to set up and while the manual seems to make sense, when trying to apply it I find that it isn’t specific enough and open to interpretation. I guess if the test proves it is a security issue then I need to get in there again and have a play. (or bin it and buy the linksys recommended by fizze ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Cheers for help so far.

Duff

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Duffledorf wrote:

I wasn’t aware of that, and it certainly would make sense. I guess the easy way to test it, is to turn off all security for a couple of hours and see if it makes a difference. I will try this and report back.

Hi Osik
    Have tried switching off the security on both the router and the belkin, but it made absolutly no difference, so not an encryption key change, as it still does it without one! ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

@Osik wrote:

Have also had another look through all the settings both on the BT Hub and the Belkin and can’t find any settings that could be doing this, and nothing that helps with port forwarding also.

The message I am getting briefly before I loose the library, is that the library shut down, which still makes me think firefly, but what could firefly do to the belkin but not do for a router connection?

Duff ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

M@rk
    Participant

I use a Belkin F5D7132uk with WPA-PSK encryption to extend the range of my Speedtouch 780WL and it doesn’t drop the connection.

The only modification I made was to use a higher gain antenna instead of the one supplied.

SoundBridge is running software version 3.0.44
    Signal Quality: 99
    Signal Level: -46dBm

Osik
    Participant

Hi duff,

sounds strange. it have to be the range extender because you aren’t losing connection without this.

i have no idea where this error come from. ๐Ÿ™

does this also happens if your itunes shares your music to the soundbridge?

Greetz

Osik

Anonymous
    Inactive

@M@rk wrote:

I use a Belkin F5D7132uk with WPA-PSK encryption to extend the range of my Speedtouch 780WL and it doesn’t drop the connection.

The only modification I made was to use a higher gain antenna instead of the one supplied.

SoundBridge is running software version 3.0.44
    Signal Quality: 99
    Signal Level: -46dBm

Hi M@rk
    Thanks for confirming that it isn’t just a Belkin quirk. The strange thing is that the Belkin is receiving a strong signal from the router, so don’t really need to improve that signal, and the Soundbridge is receiving a strong signal from the Belkin. It doesn’t actually loose the connection, that is still there, I can immediatly connect to internet radio and can see the wireless signal in config. It seems to think that the library has closed, but the firefly log shows no activity after serving the last track that was playing.

Hi Osik

I will try a test with itunes, cutting out the firefly option, but if I prove it isn’t firefly I guess I can’t continue to post on this forum!

regards
    Duff

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all please read this one, as it may be my last chance to find a solution

Osik, Can confirm that if I connect to itunes (firefly off) I get exactly the same result.

I am hoping for comments from anyone here if you can help:

I have realised that if I switch on the Soundbridge with wireless connection to the Belkin Range Extender and then start firefly or itunes, the Soundbridge does not register that they are there. They have to be there when the Soundbridge is restarted, so even if I have firefly active on the network before I switch on the Soundbridge it doesn’t pick it up.

Likewise, having connected to a music library, if I stop Firefly or close itunes, the Soundbridge still thinks they are there and lets me choose them and then says “Connection to server failed”. This means that regardless of if the library is active or not, the Soundbridge is not interacting with it through the Belkin, except when I do a restart.

However, move the Soundbridge to a wireless connection through the router and the Soundbridge instantly updates its screen when firefly or itunes is switched on or off.

From this I deduce that the restart initialises the connection to the library, (firefly or itunes) and then is happy to play its contents, but the link is one way (from the library to the Soundbridge). The guess is that at a point some 70 minutes after the connection the Soundbridge must re-check for the presence of the library and not being able to get confirmation that it is still there, brings back the message that the library has shut down.

I now need someone to confirm this thinking, and I need a wireless expert to help me figure out why after the restart the Soundbridge-belkin-router-mac connection is lost, when we know we have a mac-router-belkin-Soundbridge connection (the route the music files are taking) and that the Soundbridge-belkin-router connection is still there (because we still have an internet radio link).

What does the Soundbridge restart do, that the rest of the software can’t?
    Is the break in connection between the router and the mac or does the link from the Soundbridge to the internet differ in any way to the link from the Soundbridge to the library.

And finally a question for M@rk if you are still reading this. As you have the same belkin Range Extender as me, any chance you could either post or Private message me with all the settings on your belkin, it may be a longshot with us having different routers, but it would be helpful to compare with mine.

I do appreciate your continued help and support.

Duff

M@rk
    Participant

@Duffledorf wrote:

And finally a question for M@rk if you are still reading this. As you have the same belkin Range Extender as me, any chance you could either post or Private message me with all the settings on your belkin, it may be a longshot with us having different routers, but it would be helpful to compare with mine.

Sure:

BASIC

Wireless Channel: the same as my router
    SSID: the same as my router's SSID
    Wireless Mode: 54G-Auto
    Broadcast SSID: Yes
    Protected Mode: Off
    Repeater/AP Mode: Wireless Repeater Mode
    Parent AP SSID: the same as my router's SSID
    Satus: Connected!

SECURITY
    Security Mode: WPA-Personal (PSK)
    Encryption Technique: TKIP
    Pre-Shared Key (PSK): the same as my router's PSK
    Obscure PSK: (No)

SPECIFY IP ADDRESS

Specify IP Address: an IP within the Address Range of my Router's IP Pool
    Subnetmask: the same as my router's Subnetmask

MAC ADDRESS CONTROL

Allow
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks M@rk

unfortunately no differences there, but thanks for going to the trouble.

Duff

rpedde
    Participant

@Duffledorf wrote:

Likewise, having connected to a music library, if I stop Firefly or close itunes, the Soundbridge still thinks they are there and lets me choose them and then says “Connection to server failed”. This means that regardless of if the library is active or not, the Soundbridge is not interacting with it through the Belkin, except when I do a restart.

Discovery works via multicast dns.

When firefly (or itunes) starts, it sends pre-caching announcements to the other mdns servers on the network via multicast. These will look like udp packets from the device to 224.0.0.251 port 5353.

Once it’s up, it doesn’t spam those anymore. Instead it waits for mdns queries (which again look like udp 5353 to 224.0.0.251) from the device asking for servers that have a specific service. The server should respond, and everything is okay.

It looks to me like something isn’t right with multicast on your setup. Like multicast is only going one-way across the link.

You can try double-checking all your devices and seeing if they have an option to enable IGMP or multicast, or maybe even something about media streaming.

Failing that, I don’t know a way to *make* the devices work with multicast (other than a round of firmware updates, potentially).

– Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.