NSLU2 Performance Tips?

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    chaintong
    Participant

Can someone explain

“tmp, too. move that off to someplace fast, rather than the flash disk — it builds a temp table for select distinct queries, so a slow /tmp will cause problems. “

I guess thats not a mt-daapd config file /tmp, but a unslung / linux thing..

can some one tell me where the config for this os level tmp is defined (i’m very new to the whole linux thing) and still finding it hard to get my head round

thanks

rpedde
    Participant

@chaintong wrote:

Can someone explain

“tmp, too. move that off to someplace fast, rather than the flash disk — it builds a temp table for select distinct queries, so a slow /tmp will cause problems. “

I guess thats not a mt-daapd config file /tmp, but a unslung / linux thing..

can some one tell me where the config for this os level tmp is defined (i’m very new to the whole linux thing) and still finding it hard to get my head round

thanks

Correct… the /tmp folder on your slug is where temporary files are created. If you do a “mount” command, you’ll see where stuff is mounted. My guess is that your “/” is mounted to the flash drive. Which is fine, but that means that your /tmp directory is on the flash drive as well, which has terrible write speeds.

Actually, just do a “mount” and post what it returns. We can probably symlink your tmp to somewhere on the hard drive and have it perform better.

— Ron

chaintong
    Participant

Ron,

Here’s the mount, the music is on HDD_1_1_1, a drive which is not set to spin down, the other drive (which serves as my backup drive) spins down when not used.

I think I am begining to understand the directory structure a bit – but Ill will need some help changing the tmp location.

also – Weird that as a purely electical device (like a flash drive) is slower than a electro-mechanical device like a HDD

Password:
    No directory, logging in with HOME=/

Welcome to Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta

NOTE: THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY UNSLUNG

BusyBox v0.60.4 (2005.03.22-06:52+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

# mount
    /dev/sda1 on /initrd type jffs2 (rw)
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
    /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
    /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 type ufsd (rw)
    /dev/sdc1 on /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_2_1 type ufsd (rw)

rpedde
    Participant

@chaintong wrote:

Here’s the mount, the music is on HDD_1_1_1, a drive which is not set to spin down, the other drive (which serves as my backup drive) spins down when not used.

I think I am begining to understand the directory structure a bit – but Ill will need some help changing the tmp location.

also – Weird that as a purely electical device (like a flash drive) is slower than a electro-mechanical device like a HDD

Yeah, you’d think, but seems like usb hard drives do writes at something like 20-30 MB/sec, while even the “high speed” flash drives clock around 12 or so. And average ones are probably around 8.

They are speedy on reads, though.

/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
    /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
    /dev/sda1 on /share/flash/data type ext3 (rw)
    /dev/sda2 on /share/flash/conf type ext3 (rw,sync)
    /dev/sdb1 on /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1 type ufsd (rw)
    /dev/sdc1 on /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_2_1 type ufsd (rw)

Okay, so the flash drive is mounted as root, as /dev/sda1.

You can do something like:

# mkdir /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/tmp
    # chmod 777 /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/tmp
    # mv /tmp /tmp.old
    # ln -s /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/tmp /tmp

That should link the /tmp folder to a directory on the hard drive. Then, stop and start the server. See what that does.

Not sure what will happen on reboot — it will probably make a new /tmp when it boots, so if this helps, we’ll have ot find a way to maek it permanent.

— Ron

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.