NAS or PC?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DaveS2007
    Participant

Thanks.

Dave

mas
    Participant

The speed difference is about as big as the huge difference in electricity consumption and price to buy a new NAS vs a new computer. make up your mind what you prefer.

Jxn
    Participant

I am running mt-daapd on a NSLU2 with Debian/Etch without any problems serving my computers with music. Only standard Debian, no own compiled software. I ony have around 2000 songs though.

The slug clock in with 266MHz and 32 MB RAM. No performance problems, except on thing. I have all my songs (nearly) coded in OGG, and the default installation try to convert all those to MP3 when delivering. THAT is something the SLUG can’t do. But after removing all media converting in mt-daapd on the SLUG, it works great. That is not a problem, since all my clients can handle OGG-files.

My SLUG and disk (an external 250G USB-disk) use about 5-10 W. Which no PC I know about can match. So it runs all day long (working also as file-, web-, NTP- and soon printer-server at the same time).

fizze
    Participant

The slug clock in with 266MHz and 32 MB RAM. No performance problems, except on thing. I have all my songs (nearly) coded in OGG, and the default installation try to convert all those to MP3 when delivering. THAT is something the SLUG can’t do. But after removing all media converting in mt-daapd on the SLUG, it works great. That is not a problem, since all my clients can handle OGG-files.

Not quite true. If you use the tremor optimized version of oggdec, the slug’s CPU load while decoding an ogg to wave in realtime is about 20%.

So I guess you just installed the standard oggdec libs which rely on a FPU to be present 😉

Jxn
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Not quite true. If you use the tremor optimized version of oggdec, the slug’s CPU load while decoding an ogg to wave in realtime is about 20%.

So I guess you just installed the standard oggdec libs which rely on a FPU to be present 😉

That sounds great. Is it packed in Debian/Etch?

fizze
    Participant

yeah, its in unstable iirc.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.