local player

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    greenleaf
    Participant

Being too poor to have a computer or Soundbridge everywhere in my house that I want to liste to music, I had a thought of piping music from my server through an FM transmitter to the regular radios that I already have around the house. The only problem is that I’d have to go downstairs to where the server is any time I wanted to change the song, rather than to the office upstairs where the other computers are.

I was wondering if anyone knew of or knew how to create a player that could run on Linux and connect to the Firefly database locally for its song list, and be controlled either from a web browser or a command-line interface? With either of those I could control the software from anywhere in the house and have a constant stream piped to any radio within range.

I’d love to be able to write this myself, but I’m more of a hardware guy and know pretty much zilch about programming.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a SB 1001 connected to my home stereo preamp so I can listen to streaming internet radio or my library from Firefly. The recording output of the preamp feeds a Ramsey FM transmitter so I can broadcast to any room in the house. I then use VisualMR to control the SB remotely. You could try a similar configuration, but use SoundBridge Commander rather than VMR since it can run on linux.

greenleaf
    Participant

Currently I only stream to computers, no Soundbridge devices, and I don’t think my wife would let me buy one just so I could connect it to an FM transmitter.

I’ll set up the FM transmitter off of my server with or without a way to remotely control it. I just thought it would be nice to be able to change the playlist without going all the way downstairs to the corner of the basement and unlocking the server first.

fizze
    Participant

Music player daemon is exactly what you want.
    http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Anonymous
    Inactive

>Currently I only stream to computers, no Soundbridge devices, and I don’t >think my wife would let me buy one just so I could connect it to an FM >transmitter.

Ooops, sorry. For some reason I thought you did have a SB. Looks like the solution fizze posted should work for you.

greenleaf
    Participant

Do any of you know if I can point mpd at my Firefly database to get its song and playlist info from?

I started tinkering with mpd on a test machine and it’s having problems finding the songs I put there for it. I think I might’ve done something wrong, though. I’ll try again when I have some more free time.

w1ll14m
    Participant

With the right scripts, you can!

I’m using php to communicate directly with the mt-daapd sqlite database.
    and then use apache2 as streaming backend.

Php parses on the filesize filename and type.
    You should beable to do a lot with sqlite and mpd (some bash scripting?)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@fizze wrote:

Music player daemon is exactly what you want.
    http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Oh, it’s nice !Thank you !

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks very much worked for me too much appreciated.

greenleaf
    Participant

I came across xmms2 today, and saw that it uses a sqlite3 database back-end, just like firefly. There wouldn’t be a way that they could both use the same database, would there?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Add-on Software’ is closed to new topics and replies.