Is room correction possible?

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    fizze
    Participant

wow. mad props for explaining all that.
    yeah, debian is really nice, I was a slackware person, and even had mandrake at some point – so I dont really care as long as I can get proper package support and gnome πŸ˜‰ (Im addicted to wanda lol)

alright, so I guess i want x86 and the arm5 stuff so I can compile for GNU Linux/win32/unslung.

well, cygwin is soo much bloatware and theres just too much lib hacking involved for my taste. coLinux does sound nice, but I really wanna get a nice Linux up again.
    Its a shame I’ve been using windoze since my Linux HD died.

btw, just out of curiosity Bo Melberg, what kinda sound system do you sport?
    Im thinking of giving myself an Onkyo TS-SR674, Im always glad on some advice, sound-wise. πŸ™‚

Bo Mellberg
    Participant

My sound system is nothing specal, but I’m trying to slowly step up to a higher league.

– My source is either X-Fi Elite Pro in the HTPC or the Pinnacle SB 1001. THe X-Fi is connected via analog cables to the reciever and the SB via digital coax.

– The reciever is a H/K AVR 507. This is my weak link at the moment. I have a H/K Signature 2.1 power amp coming in.

– The speakers are QRS Tellus (swedish brand) bi-amped from the H/K. Cost was about $2500.

My biggest problem is bass resonances because of the non dampened room (wooden floor, naked walls). I’m more into solving that than having a perfect flat curve at sweetspot. Is there any better way of measuring the room than doing it at absolute sweetspot, thus making the sweetspot the only useful listening position?

The Onkyo seems nice. I have an Integra A-807 which I connect to my system from time to time. It has a nice natural sound with good bass control. I really like Onkyo, always have…

/Bo

fizze
    Participant

Nice setup. πŸ™‚
    Well, carpets might be easier to do than correcting the frequency response. πŸ˜‰

I too have a wooden floor and bare walls (so far – just moved in).
    So I know the effect of seemingly standing waves in the bass range. Doesnt sound too good. πŸ™

Onkyo is a nice brand indeed. What I dig about the 647 is its wide range of inputs. from composite to digital audio to even HDMI. the H/Ks that can do that are price-tagged twice as much and more. But they are more or less equal, otherwise.

Anyway, the soundbridge itself is more than powerful enough to do a FIR or IIR in realtime. It’s blackfin shouldnt be at more than 20-30% load while decoding mpeg4 audio. So it would be more suited, but I donno about firmware access politics of roku. seems pretty restrictive. bugger.

Bo Mellberg
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Anyway, the soundbridge itself is more than powerful enough to do a FIR or IIR in realtime. It’s blackfin shouldnt be at more than 20-30% load while decoding mpeg4 audio. So it would be more suited, but I donno about firmware access politics of roku. seems pretty restrictive. bugger.

You mean hacking it and doing the convolution there? That would be even nicer! What OS does it run?

/Bo

fizze
    Participant

its propietary, but kinda linnux inspired.
    it is threaded though.

I would guess its built on top of some blackfin SDK.

I’ve done a project or two on those babies back then, and Analog Devices supplies tons of SDKs and engineer-to-engineer-notes.

But the Roku forum is more suited for that.

This could turn out rather simply, with the filter coefficients entered through the remote, or a simple-web-screen.

You would, of course, have to compute the coeffs yourself.

Jxn
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

wow. mad props for explaining all that.
    yeah, debian is really nice, I was a slackware person, and even had mandrake at some point – so I dont really care as long as I can get proper package support and gnome πŸ˜‰ (Im addicted to wanda lol)

alright, so I guess i want x86 and the arm5 stuff so I can compile for GNU Linux/win32/unslung.

You can use Debian installer to intstall Etch on a Linksys NSLU2. It runs on my underclocked slug right now πŸ˜‰
    All tools to build packages are there…
    Have a look at <http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/>

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.