Installation of FireFly on MSS

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    squashuax
    Participant

When I type http://192.168.1.102:3689/ into the browser address bar, I get this:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

Is there something I have to do through telnet to turn firefly on? What can I type into putty to make it work? Maybe I’m missing something that activates the firefly server? I did power down and restart the MSS, hoping that would help, but it looks like Firefly is installed, but not activated.

rpedde
    Participant

@squashuax wrote:

Is there something I have to do through telnet to turn firefly on? What can I type into putty to make it work? Maybe I’m missing something that activates the firefly server? I did power down and restart the MSS, hoping that would help, but it looks like Firefly is installed, but not activated.

/opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd

that should start it, then you can go to the web page.

— Ron

squashuax
    Participant

Tried that this morning. No luck. Do I need to reboot too? Here’s waht I got in Putty:

BusyBox v1.00-pre2 (2006.02.01-23:21+0000) Built-in shell (msh)
    Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

# /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    pidof: not found
    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: symbol iconv, version GLIBC_2.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    #

Thanks again for all of your help. I know we’re close to getting this to work!

squashuax
    Participant

Tried something new:
    Via the MSS web interface, I enabled the media server.

Then I went to http://192.168.1.102:3689/

I got a popup (this is new!) as follows:

The server 192.168.1.102 at webserver requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection).

I tried
    admin / mt-daapd
    admin / admin
    “blank” / admin
    “blank” / mt-daapd

But no matter what, I got:

Unauthorized
    Error 401

mt-daapd: 0.2.1.1

The fact that “mt-daapd: 0.2.1.1” came back at all made me feel like maybe something is running on the server, but what now?

And, am I supposed to enable the media server via the Maxtor web interface, or disable? Here is what I see in the address bar:
    http://192.168.1.102/share/share_upnp_4.asp?

When I turn it off, and go to http://192.168.1.102:3689/,

I get this again:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

I also tried setting admin/admin as the username and password on the MSS, but that didn’t seem to help either, so I am running the MSS without an administrator account password, and ignoring the “If you do not enter a password, anyone can login as an administrator.” message.

So, the questions I’m hoping you can answer:
    1. Should the media server be enabled or disabled in the maxtor web interface?

2. Based on the error message that included “mt-daapd: 0.2.1.1,” can we conclude that firefly is properly installed on the MSS, or does the “# /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/sbin/mt-daapd: symbol iconv, version GLIBC_2.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference” message received through putty/telnet indicate that something still needs to be fixed?

3. If the configuration I describe above, with media server enabled, is correct, how do I get past the request for username and password in order to get the firefly web interface working at 192.168.1.102:3689/?

4. What next?

Thanks for all of the help. I appreciate your patience.

PS – I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday looking for any books that might help me understand what I am trying to do. I found plenty of Linux books, but none that explained or referenced putty, busybox, or ipkg. I guess I’m not really sure what to look for. Can you give me any recommended reading?

Iris
    Participant

@squashuax wrote:

Tried something new:
    Via the MSS web interface, I enabled the media server.

Don’t do that. That’s the built-in media server on the MSS.

From some of your questions I’m getting the impression that you didn’t find the “How To” on the wiki – if so check it out here

If you installed the ‘Nano‘ editor like it instructs in the wiki you can edit the config file manually by typing at a Busybox prompt:

/opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

You can check what packages you have installed on your MSS by typing at a Busybox prompt:

ipkg list_installed

Look for mt-daapd-svn-xxxx-1 where the x’s are the version you downloaded. That will show if it’s installed NOT that you’ve configured it properly.

Finally, if you haven’t yet powered off your MSS through all of this then that is certainly a good idea. I find sometimes mucking around too much that I need to do that.

Iris

squashuax
    Participant

I’ve tried following the directions on several threads. Still stuck. Per ipkg list_installed, nano – 2.0.6-1 and mt-daapd – svn-1671-1 are installed. Not sure where the breakdown is…

Here are the details:
    # /opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    /opt/bin/nano: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/bin/nano: symbol fpathconf, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference#
    # ipkg list_installed
    alac-decoder – 0.1.0-2 – A decoder for the apple lossless file format
    bash – 3.2.17-1 – A bourne style shell
    busybox-base – 1.5.1-1 – A userland replacement for embedded systems.
    flac – 1.1.4-1 – FLAC is a free lossless audio codec. This package contains the codec libraries and the command-line tools flac and metaflac.
    ivorbis-tools – 1.0-6 – Tools to allow you to play, encode, and manage Ogg Vorbis files. This version is hacked to use the Tremor integer decoder.
    libao – 0.8.8-1 – Cross Platform Audio Library.
    libcurl – 7.17.0-2 – Curl is a command line tool for transferring files with URL syntax, supporting FTP, FTPS, HTTP, HTTPS, GOPHER, TELNET, DICT, FI
    libid3tag – 0.15.1b-1 – The library used for ID3 tag reading
    libogg – 1.1.3-3 – Ogg is a multimedia container format.
    libvorbis – 1.1.2-5 – Ogg Vorbis compressed audio format.
    libvorbisidec – cvs-20050221-2 – libvorbisidec is the integer-only ogg decoder library, AKA Tremor
    mt-daapd – svn-1671-1 – A multi-threaded DAAP server for Linux and other POSIX type systems. Allows a Linux box to share audio files with iTunes users
    nano – 2.0.6-1 – A pico like editor
    ncurses – 5.6-1 – NCurses libraries
    openssl – 0.9.7m-3 – Openssl provides the ssl implementation in libraries libcrypto and libssl, and is needed by many other applications and librari
    readline – 5.2-2 – The GNU Readline library provides a set of functions for use by applications that allow users to edit command lines as they are
    sqlite – 3.4.1-1 – SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained, embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine.
    sqlite2 – 2.8.16-1 – SQLite is a small C library that implements a self-contained, embeddable, zero-configuration SQL database engine.
    zlib – 1.2.3-2 – zlib is a library implementing the ‘deflate’ compression system.

rpedde
    Participant

@squashuax wrote:

I’ve tried following the directions on several threads. Still stuck. Per ipkg list_installed, nano – 2.0.6-1 and mt-daapd – svn-1671-1 are installed. Not sure where the breakdown is…

Here are the details:
    # /opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf
    /opt/bin/nano: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/bin/nano: symbol fpathconf, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference#
    # ipkg list_installed

It’s:

# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib /opt/bin/nano /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

Did you edit the startup script like it says in the wiki?

To change the startup line so it looks like this:

/opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf

?

squashuax
    Participant

Yes, it looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

# make sure our shared libraries are in the path.
    # if we get /etc/ld.so.conf working, this export
    # can be removed
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/lib

if [ -n “`pidof mt-daapd`” ] ; then
    killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
    fi

sleep 2

squashuax
    Participant

I’ve tried every suggestion, and I feel like I’m close to getting it working, but it keeps crashing. And I haven’t been able to get a Roku connection yet. The error on the Roku is “connection to server failed” when I try to connect to “Play firefly svn-1671 on (none)”

I discovered two similar files in /opt/etc, “ipkg.conf” and “ipkg.config,” and used “rm” to get rid of ipkg.config because it seemed to conflict with the osu server address that has been working without the “invalid magic” error.

Then I tried ipkg update, ipkg upgrade, and ipkg install mt-daapd.

Also, I tried using “tail /var/log/messages” as suggested, but got this:

# cd
    #
    # ls
    bin foreign_shares proc tmp
    brcm lib sbin usr
    dev mnt share var
    etc opt shares www
    #
    # tail /var/log/messages
    tail: /var/log/messages: No such file or directory
    tail: no files
    #
    # cd var/log
    #
    # ls
    samba.log
    #
    #

Maybe this is important?

BusyBox v1.00-pre2 (2006.02.01-23:21+0000) Built-in shell (msh) Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

# cd opt/etc/
    #
    # ls
    init.d ipkg.conf mt-daapd nanorc profile
    #
    # cd init.d
    #
    # ls
    S60mt-daapd S99local
    #
    # cat S60mt-daapd
    #!/bin/sh

# make sure our shared libraries are in the path.
    # if we get /etc/ld.so.conf working, this export # can be removed export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/lib

if [ -n “`pidof mt-daapd`” ] ; then
    killall mt-daapd 2>/dev/null
    fi

sleep 2

#
    #

And I think I found the up to date mt-daapd config file. Does this help? I used “cat opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.conf” to get it.

# This is the mt-daapd config file.
    #
    # If you have problems or questions with the format of this file, # direct your questions to [email protected].
    #
    # You can also check the website at http://mt-daapd.sourceforge.net, # as there is a growing documentation library there, peer-supported # forums and possibly more.
    #

[general]

#
    # web_root (required)
    #
    # Location of the admin web pages. If you installed from # ipk, this is correct #

web_root = /shares/mss-hdd/__opt/share/mt-daapd/admin-root

#
    # port (required)
    #
    # What port to listen on. It is possible to use a different # port, but this is the default iTunes port #

port = 3689

#
    # admin_pw (required)
    #
    # This is the password to the administrative pages # # YOU SHOULD PROBABLY CHANGE THIS #

admin_pw = mt-daapd

#
    # db_dir (depricated)
    #
    # This is where mt-daapd stores its database of song information.
    #
    # If you installed this from .ipk, this is correct #

#db_dir /opt/var/mt-daapd

#
    # db_type/db_parms
    #
    # This specifies what kind of database you want, and where # it should be kept. Valid db_types depend on what databases are # compiled in, but can include “sqlite” and “sqlite3”.
    #
    # db_parms is the parameters for that database backend. For sqlite and # sqlite3, these parameters are the path to the database.
    #

db_type = sqlite
    db_parms = /shares/mss-hdd/__opt/var/mt-daapd

#
    # mp3_dir (required)
    #
    # Location of the mp3 files to share. This corresponds # to a folder called “mp3” in the “DISK 1” share.
    #

mp3_dir = /shares/mss-hdd/Compaq_Owner/

#
    # servername
    #
    # This is both the name of the server as advertised # via rendezvous, and the name of the database # exported via DAAP # # defaults to the hostname if not set #

#servername = NSLU2 Music

#
    # runas (required)
    #
    # This is the user to drop privs to if running as # root. If mt-daapd is not started as root, this # configuration option is ignored. Notice that this # must be specified whether the server is running # as root or not.
    #
    # If you have not messed with permissions from # the console, then this should work correctly # without any strange chmods or anything.
    #

runas = guest

#
    # playlist (optional)
    #
    # This is the location of a playlist file.
    # This is for Apple-style “Smart Playlists”
    # See the mt-daapd.playlist file in the
    # contrib directory for syntax and examples # # This doesn’t control static playlists… these # are controlled with the “process_m3u” directive # below.
    #

playlist = /opt/etc/mt-daapd/mt-daapd.playlist

#
    # password (optional)
    #
    # This is the password required to listen to MP3 files # i.e. the password that iTunes prompts for #

#password=mp3

#
    # extensions (optional)
    #
    # These are the file extensions that the daap server will # try to index and serve. By default, it only indexes and # serves .mp3 files. It can also server .m4a and .m4p files, # and just about any other files, really. Unfortunately, while # it can *attempt* to serve other files (.ogg?), iTunes won’t # play them. Perhaps this would be useful on Linux with # Rhythmbox, once it understands daap. (hurry up!) #

extensions = .mp3,.m4a,.m4p,.ogg,.flac

#
    # ssc_extensions (optional)
    #
    # List of file extensions belonging to the files daap server # performs internal format conversion and present to clients # as WAV files. Extensions must also be present in ‘extensions’
    # configuration value, or files are not probed in the first # place.
    #

ssc_codectypes = ogg,flac,alac

#
    # ssc_prog (optional)
    #
    # Program that is used in server side format conversion.
    # Program must accept following command line syntax:
    # ssc_prog filename offset
    # Parameter filename is the real name of the file that is # to be converted and streamed, offset is number of bytes # that are skipped from the beginning of the _output_ file # before streaming is started. The resulting wav file (or # rest of the file after initial seek) is written to the # standard output by the ssc_prog program. This is typically # a script that is a front end for different conversion tools # handling different formats.
    #

ssc_prog = /opt/sbin/mt-daapd-ssc.sh

#
    # logfile (optional)
    #
    # This is the file to log to. If this is not configured, # then it will log to the syslog.
    #
    # Not that the -d switch will control the log verbosity.
    # By default, it runs at log level 1. Log level 9 will churn # out scads of useless debugging information. Values in between # will vary the amount of logging you get.
    #

#logfile = /var/log/mt-daapd.log

#
    # art_filename (optional)
    #
    # There is experimental support thanks to Hiren Joshi # ([email protected]) for dynamically adding art to the id3v2 # header as it is streamed (!!). If you were using a music system # like zina or andromeda, for example, with cover art called # “_folderOpenImage.jpg”, you could use the parameter # art_file _folderOpenImage.jpg and if the file _folderOpenImage.jpg # was located in the same folder as the .mp3 file, it would appear # in iTunes. Cool, eh?
    #

#art_filename = _folderOpenImage.jpg

#
    # rescan_interval
    #
    # How often to check the file system to see if any mp3 files # have been added or removed.
    #
    # if not specified, the default is 0, which disables background scanning.
    #
    # If background rescanning is disabled, a scan can still be forced from the # “status” page of the administrative web interface # # Setting a rescan_interval lower than the time it takes to rescan # won’t hurt anything, it will just waste CPU, and make connect times # to the daap server longer.
    #

# We’ll set it to 10 minutes
    #
    rescan_interval = 600

# always_scan
    #
    # The default behavior is not not do background rescans of the # filesystem unless there are clients connected. The thought is to # allow the drives to spin down unless they are in use. This might be # of more importance in IDE drives that aren’t designed to be run # 24×7. Forcing a scan through the web interface will always work # though, even if no users are connected.

always_scan = 0
    scan_type = 0
    logfile = /shares/mss-hdd/__daap/log/mt-daapd.log

#
    # process_m3u
    #
    # By default m3u processing is turned off, since most m3u files # sitting around in peoples mp3 directories have bad paths, and # I hear about it. 🙂 # # If you are sure your m3u files have good paths (i.e. unixly pathed, # with relative paths relative to the directory the m3u is in), then # you can turn on m3u processing by setting this directive to 1.
    #
    # I’m not sure “unixly” is a word, but you get the idea.
    #

#process_m3u = 0

#
    # scan_type
    #
    #
    # This sets how aggressively mp3 files should be scanned to determine # file length. There are three values:
    #
    # 0 (Normal)
    # Just scan the first mp3 frame to try and calculate size. This will
    # be accurate for most files, but VBR files without an Xing tag will
    # probably have wildly inaccurate file times. This is the default.
    #
    # 1 (Aggressive)
    # This checks the bitrates of 10 frames in the middle of the song.
    # This will still be inaccurate for VBR files without an Xing tag,
    # but they probably won’t be quite as inaccurate as 0. This takes
    # more time, obviously, although the time hit will only happen the
    # first time you scan a particular file.
    #
    # 2 (Painfully aggressive)
    # This walks through the entire song, counting the number of frames.
    # This should result in accurate song times, but will take the most
    # time. Again, this will only have to be incurred the first time
    # the file is indexed.
    #

# scan_type = 0

#
    # compress
    #
    # Whether to use gzip content-encoding when transferring playlists etc.
    # This was contributed as a patch by Ciamac Moallemi just prior to the 0.2.1 # release, and as such, hasn’t gotten as much testing as other features.
    #
    # This feature should substantially speed up transfers of large databases # and playlists, at least where bandwidth is limited.
    #
    # It will eventually default to 1, but currently it defaults to 0.
    #
    # DONT EVEN THINK OF ENABLING THIS ON THE SLUG. IT WILL # DEGRADE PERFORMANCE MASSIVELY. It might even trigger the # OOM killer, so just pretend this option isn’t here.
    #
    # In fact, it’s only here for the sake of completeness.

# compress = 0

[plugins]
    plugin_dir = /shares/mss-hdd/__opt/share/mt-daapd/plugins
    plugins = rsp.so,ssc-script.so
    #
    #

And finally, here is what happens when I check to see if it is running (it isn’t) then start it, then check again…

BusyBox v1.00-pre2 (2006.02.01-23:21+0000) Built-in shell (msh) Enter ‘help’ for a list of built-in commands.

# ps auxw
    PID Uid VmSize Stat Command
    1 root 320 S init
    2 root SW< [keventd]
    3 root SWN [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
    4 root SW [kswapd]
    5 root SW [bdflush]
    6 root SW [kupdated]
    7 root SW [mtdblockd]
    8 root SW [khubd]
    13 root SW< [mdrecoveryd]
    26 root SW [eth0_link_event]
    32 root SW [gpio_out_pulse]
    33 root SW [button_notify_u]
    36 root SW< [ksed]
    37 root SW [ksechanged]
    41 root SW< [raid1d]
    46 root SW< [raid1d]
    49 root SW [kreiserfsd]
    78 root 84 S httpd
    107 root 68 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
    109 root 568 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd
    196 root 128 S restore
    204 root 48 S hnscontrol
    210 root SW discoveryd
    212 root 232 S fanctl 47 65
    214 root 292 S utelnetd
    222 root 80 S netlink
    226 root 244 S mDNSResponderPosix -f /shares/mss-hdd/__bonjour/etc/r
    399 root 48 S /bin/printd
    5027 root 1124 S < /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
    5201 root 588 S /bin/sh
    5202 root 652 R ps auxw
    #
    # /opt/etc/init.d/S60mt-daapd
    #
    # ps auxw
    1 root 316 S init
    2 root SW< [keventd]
    4 root SW [kswapd]
    5 root SW [bdflush]
    6 root SW [kupdated]
    7 root SW [mtdblockd]
    8 root SW [khubd]
    36 root SW< [ksed]
    37 root SW [ksechanged]
    41 root SW< [raid1d]
    46 root SW< [raid1d]
    49 root SW [kreiserfsd]
    78 root 84 S httpd
    109 root 464 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd
    196 root 128 S restore
    204 root 24 S hnscontrol
    210 root SW discoveryd
    212 root 212 S fanctl 47 65
    214 root 192 S utelnetd
    222 root 80 S netlink
    226 root 232 S mDNSResponderPosix -f /shares/mss-hdd/__bonjour/etc/r
    5027 root 864 S < /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
    5201 root 384 S /bin/sh
    5210 root 760 S /opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-da
    5211 root 6488 R /opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-da
    5212 root 652 R ps auxw

rpedde
    Participant

@squashuax wrote:

# ps auxw
    1 root 316 S init
    2 root SW< [keventd]
    4 root SW [kswapd]
    5 root SW [bdflush]
    6 root SW [kupdated]
    7 root SW [mtdblockd]
    8 root SW [khubd]
    36 root SW< [ksed]
    37 root SW [ksechanged]
    41 root SW< [raid1d]
    46 root SW< [raid1d]
    49 root SW [kreiserfsd]
    78 root 84 S httpd
    109 root 464 S /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd
    196 root 128 S restore
    204 root 24 S hnscontrol
    210 root SW discoveryd
    212 root 212 S fanctl 47 65
    214 root 192 S utelnetd
    222 root 80 S netlink
    226 root 232 S mDNSResponderPosix -f /shares/mss-hdd/__bonjour/etc/r
    5027 root 864 S < /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
    5201 root 384 S /bin/sh
    5210 root 760 S /opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-da
    5211 root 6488 R /opt/lib/ld.so.1 /opt/sbin/mt-daapd -c /opt/etc/mt-da
    5212 root 652 R ps auxw

This looks like it’s running. What’s the behavior you are observing? Does the web interface work?

Can you http to http://ip.address:3689 and log in a “admin/mt-daapd”?

Does that work?

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.