FireFly Supported?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    iNexxFear

Hello,

Does anyone know if firefly is still being supported?? The reason why I ask is that I have a Media Smart Server by HP (EX475) which is holding about 116 GB worth of music… For some reason, my Firefly service continues to have problems and shuts down… When it does this it is not visible by iTunes anymore…

I went out and seen that the last build was done in August of 2007 which is over a year old…

I was hoping to get a newer version… My only concern is that this is no longer supported… Can anyone advise?

stretch
    Participant

You’re confusing “supported” with “developed”.

Yes, Firefly is still being supported. If you post a question, someone will will try to help you out. This is the nature of open source software.

Development is a different matter. The primary developer does not get paid to develop Firefly so he only works on it when he has the time.
    Spare time is in short supply at the moment & almost no-one has stepped forward to give Ron a hand.

Many companies (HP, Netgear, etc…) are using Firefly in their NAS devices but I wonder how many of them are contributing to Firefly’s development in some way???
    If the implementation of Firefly on those NAS devices doesn’t work properly then it’s up to that company to sort out why.
    I know Netgear is running a hybrid version of Firefly (svn-1676 with the memory leak patches from svn-1696, sqlite2 disabled, transcoding of ogg’s disabled, etc) to sort out some of the problems they had.

S80_UK
    Participant

@iNexxFear wrote:

I went out and seen that the last build was done in August of 2007 which is over a year old…

Well, if it ain’t broke… 😆

I have Firefly 1696 accessing 250GB+ / 11000 files of music running under Debian Linux – very stable (runs for months and months between mains power outages) – and I am certainly not alone in that.

As Stretch pointed out, if a NAS provider is adding Firefly /mt-daapd to their product, then it is for them to support that particular configuration and or customisation. Meanwhile, for general questions, ask away, and the users here will do their best to help you.

Happy Christmas,

Les.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.