DTS .ac3 files

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mraneri
    Participant

The only reliable way I’ve found to listen to multichannel audio on the Soundbridge is to use ripped DTS encoded CDs (NOT DVD’s)… I’ve extracted DTS tracks from a DVD, but to date have not been able to convert them to WAV properly to play on the soundbridge… (I’ve tried all the usual sources…)

I think some have gotten AC3 encoded WAV’s to play, but that’s very hit or miss… Multichannel WAV’s (not DTS WAVs) are definitely NOT going to play on the soundbridge because the soundbridge cannot re-encode the multichannel audio into a format that can make it’s way through the optical or coaxial digital cable to your receiver…

– Mike

sansp00
    Participant

Was’nt there something about multi channel in the M1000 vs M1001 debate ? Something like the old gear ( M500, M1000, M2000 ) would be pass throught but the newer versions ( M1001 ) would not ?
    Food for thought …
    Patrick S.

mraneri
    Participant

Yes, there was…

The problem is that the M1000’s will transmit 44.1kHz data at 44.1kHz, while the M1001’s will upsample the 44.1kHz data to 48kHz…

The upconversion in the M1001’s will mangle the DTS encoding, and your receiver will not be able to decode it… Theoretically, the M1001’s should be able to play DTS content encoded at 48kHz, but I don’t know if it works.. (I only have an M1000 and 44.1kHz content, off those DTS CDs)

fizze
    Participant

*bumpidy*
    got a nice A/V receiver and am keen to try this out again, with ac3 dolby-digital and dts sources, alike.
    Those M1000/M1001 samplerate conversion rumors make me feel unease, though.

fizze
    Participant

This fella provides free surround music, in AC3 and WMA format….
    I tried to point the soundbridge directly to the URL, so far without success.
    I havent actually ever seen any multi-channel caps from any Soundbridge, so Im curious….

mraneri
    Participant

The soundbridge cannot play multichannel WMA files, and I don’t believe there has been much success (if any) getting it to play AC3 files either…

Some, including myself stream DTS multichannel audio which is packaged as a standard looking WAV file. This is why it’s actually possible. The soundbridge doesn’t know that it’s actually streaming DTS encoded music. It just looks like any other PCM audio data…

Currently I’m trying (unsuccessfully, so far) to convert 5.1 48/96kHz 24-bit DTS to some WAV compatible format to stream to the soundbridge, like my 20 other DTS CD’s… Not sure if it’s something with my receiver, or the 96kHz supplement in the data stream which is causing it to be unplayable… (Note, the data stream is 48kHz… If the receiver detects and is able to decode the data between 48kHz and 96kHz, the receiver doubles the clock and produces 96kHz audio).

I don’t imagine anyone else has been successful with this???

– Mike

fizze
    Participant

hm, I guess Id have to rip some DTS tracks off one of my DVDs, i currently dont own any DTS CDs.

Well, then theres multichannel aac, which roku also claims support for….

mraneri
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Well, then theres multichannel aac, which roku also claims support for….

Are you sure? Don’t see how it could be possible.

You can’t pass multichannel audio through a pair of analog audio cables, and you can’t pass uncompressed multichannel audio through a traditional digital connection.

Only way would be if, A) your receiver could decode multichannel AAC (not likely!!!) or B) the soundbridge had on-the-fly DTS or AC3 codec (it doesn’t)…

fizze
    Participant

I tried a few things with my AC3 files today.
    Culprit seems to be the SoundBridge. It plain refuses to play an ac3 track.
    I’ve tried it to play a native ac3 file, without transcoding.
    I’ve now tried with transcoding, and fixed up the transcoding script, to plain use wavstreamer $FOREIGN on ac3 files, which imo should work.

The Soundbridge just doesnt even play the file, and claims “this filetype is not supported”.

I also tried to change the extension to .wav but mt-daapd is acting up and detects the inproper wav-header (Duh ;))

edit: I also tried to mess with the db to get the soundbridge to accept the file. but i guess itself checks for some sanity WAV-header-ish stuff then.
    if the file has a wav-header though my receiver recognizes it as a PCM stream…. *Sigh*

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.