Cross compile for NSLU2

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

Alright. I suppose its not that urgent.
    What about the stuff on TRAC? Cant i just leech these as I guess the above archive is kinda outdated?

Nope, that’s still the stuff I use to build nightlies — it’s all current.

fizze
    Participant

Alright, seems like I got the configure script right and all those deps.

Now Im configuring for:

./configure --enable-nslu2 --enable-sqlite --host=armv5b

But the bastard isnt creating an ARM5 executable, but a i386 one. what did I wrong? I suppose it would scream if I had no cross-compiler installed?
    But the configure checks vs. all those armv5-libs succeed, so…?
    ๐Ÿ™„

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

what did I wrong? I suppose it would scream if I had no cross-compiler installed?
    But the configure checks vs. all those armv5-libs succeed, so…?
    ๐Ÿ™„

Easiest way is to do it through the unslung build process documented here.

That builds the cross compiler, necessary libs, etc.

You could probably get it to compile without it by setting CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc.

$ export CC=/path/to/cross-cc
    $ export CFLAGS=-I/path/to/cross/includes
    $ export DLFLAGS=-L/path/to/cross/libs
    $ ./configure --with-nslu2 --enable-sqlite --host=arm5b

Still think the best way is with unslung though — it will build all the prereq libs and stuff for you, including any hackery you have to have to cross compile it.

— Ron

fizze
    Participant

Thanks.
    well, i thought I can just sneak by all that stuff if I just compile on my host machine, and copy the binary over to the slug, where all the libraries and whatnot are ๐Ÿ˜‰

edit:
    in case anyone else gets a weird error about missing terminating ” character in version_info.h, its an error in the glibc Makefile.
    It only really becomes apparent in recent Ubuntu installs, since some genious there swapped out the symlink /bin/sh from bash to dash.
    And dash isnt compatible to that extent.

A quick fix is to revert the symlink back to bash. Might be trouble if you aint got root.

fizze
    Participant

sweetness, changed the symlink /bin/sh -> /bin/bash, and now the build script worked like a charm.

Used your files archive, and updated the Makefile, downloaded 1463 and built just fine.

A question though:
    Is there something like ‘latest’ on the nightlies page?
    Or can I just checkout the stuff from the trac-trunk and overwrite my sources?
    Will the make mt-daapd-ipk always download from the site i set up there?

rpedde
    Participant

@fizze wrote:

sweetness, changed the symlink /bin/sh -> /bin/bash, and now the build script worked like a charm.

Used your files archive, and updated the Makefile, downloaded 1463 and built just fine.

A question though:
    Is there something like ‘latest’ on the nightlies page?
    Or can I just checkout the stuff from the trac-trunk and overwrite my sources?
    Will the make mt-daapd-ipk always download from the site i set up there?

If you wanted latest latest latest, you’d have to subversion. My process looks something like:

~$ svn co https://mt-daapd.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mt-daapd/trunk mt-daapd
    ~$ cd mt-daapd
    ~$ cp mkdist.sh.templ mkdist.sh
    ~$ cp reconf.sh.templ reconf.sh
    ~$ ./mkdist.sh

That sets up the VERSION info and builds a mt-daapd-svn-xxxx.tar.gz. Then you can copy that to a local web server, and point the make file at that webserver location & version number, if that makes sense.

If that’s what I think you are asking.

fizze
    Participant

yes, thats exactly what I wanted to know. ๐Ÿ™‚

Btw I have seen other packages in the optware tree to do CVS directly, through the make command. (nameley wizd)
    Maybe the files can be tweaked so your commands are included *shrug*
    But as I happen to have a sweet webserver on the slug, I’ll just handle it that way.

I wanna start chewing on that ogg-vorbis problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.