Asus 500gP: Only runs in foreground

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Asus 500gP: Only runs in foreground

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry if I am asking very naive questions, but:

I have an ASUS 500GP router, running the OLEG frimware (1.9.2.7-8)

I have installed firefly (I used ipkg install mt-daapd). I believe I have version 0.2.4-2 installed.

I believe I have set up the config file correctly (and I have set firefly to run as “admin”).

When I run mt-daapd as background task (S60mt-daapd) I get the 4 mt-daapd processes listed in the ps list (and no errors in the log file), however, iTunes will not list the shared files, and I cannot connect to the firefly config web page.

However, if I run mt-daapd as a foreground option (giving the -f option) all seems to work fine. I can connect to the web page and I can access the shared files in iTunes.

Please can you help a very confused (non-linux) guy?

fizze
    Participant

If you run it in background mode (via the init script) it will downgrade privileges. Whereas if you runti in foreground mode you’re running it as the user you are logged on with.
    Presuming this is the use root, the problem lies within permissions.

Check wether the music directory is world readable. Also, the database directory has to be writeable to the user mt-daapd is running at.

If the structure isnt too different from other optware flavours, the database should be in /opt/var/mt-daapd.

rpedde
    Participant

@41nick wrote:

Sorry if I am asking very naive questions, but:

I have an ASUS 500GP router, running the OLEG frimware (1.9.2.7-8)

I have installed firefly (I used ipkg install mt-daapd). I believe I have version 0.2.4-2 installed.

I believe I have set up the config file correctly (and I have set firefly to run as “admin”).

When I run mt-daapd as background task (S60mt-daapd) I get the 4 mt-daapd processes listed in the ps list (and no errors in the log file), however, iTunes will not list the shared files, and I cannot connect to the firefly config web page.

However, if I run mt-daapd as a foreground option (giving the -f option) all seems to work fine. I can connect to the web page and I can access the shared files in iTunes.

Please can you help a very confused (non-linux) guy?

I’ve seen at least one other platform like this. I’m not sure what the issue is… if it’s a signal handling thing or what, but I don’t have a full debugging suite on a machine that exhibits these problems.

The only advice I can give you is: don’t do that then. 🙂

Run it in the foreground and detach it with a & or a nohup. That’s what I’d do. 🙂

— Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks.

N

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Setup Issues’ is closed to new topics and replies.