Anybody got there AppleTV ?

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@seggerman wrote:

Since Ron mentioned X509 Certificates etc… would it be much easier to have a Backrow plugin that streams (without the 5 digit key from itunes) media from a daap source? Since we (Ron in particular) know exaclty what is being sent, this ‘just’ needs to be feed into the ATV via plugin.

Wouldn’t this be a more simpler and feasable solution? I’ve never coded cocca apps so I personally don’t know how complex this can get. I’ve just looked at the demo plugin at awkwardtv an it looks straight forward (naturally there is a lot missing).

Maybe there is someone more competent out there than I am to access this?

– my 2c –

Alexander

Yup. I’ve downloaded the stuff from awkward as well, and was going to play around with it a bit.

seggerman
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Yup. I’ve downloaded the stuff from awkward as well, and was going to play around with it a bit.

Ron,

Have you been able to look into the awkward stuff yet? Just wanted to know if this is some feasable path.

Cheers

Alexander

rpedde
    Participant

@seggerman wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

Ron,

Have you been able to look into the awkward stuff yet? Just wanted to know if this is some feasable path.

Cheers

Alexander

Yes, but as someone else mentioned, using the Files plugin will allow you to remote mount drive and then play stuff as if it were local. I’ve used that already to play some xvid and divx video and it worked good.

I still want to get an rsp streaming plugin, just for fun, but:

1. I don’t know cocoa. ๐Ÿ™‚
    2. I don’t have much free time.

Between those two things, it might take me a bit. Heh.

mikero
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

Yes, but as someone else mentioned, using the Files plugin will allow you to remote mount drive and then play stuff as if it were local. I’ve used that already to play some xvid and divx video and it worked good.

I’ve been trying this and its all well and good – but if your source is a little way away you are very susceptable to lag and blips. I mount an off site filesystem for movies. The >huge< benefit that xboc on the xbox has is that it, by default, builds up a cache of data so that you're impervious to these unless they are really bad. I was drawn to mt-daapd as a way to move to streaming this off site content and therefore incurring some buffering. If it didnt prove too difficult supporting the atv would help me a lot, by stopping me needing to run a windows box as well as a unix box in order to watch a film ๐Ÿ™‚

Togassa
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

I still want to get an rsp streaming plugin, just for fun, but:

1. I don’t know cocoa. ๐Ÿ™‚
    2. I don’t have much free time.

Between those two things, it might take me a bit. Heh.

It’s not a plugin, but couldn’t you use DSS (http://developer.apple.com/opensource/server/streaming/index.html) for this purpose?
    Then you can point DSS to your movie directory, en let it stream over the network. Unfortunate I couldn’t get to stream toward Quicktime, though VLC did work.
    Just my 2 cts.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.