Anybody got there AppleTV ?

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    sansp00
    Participant

Overpriced for what it does NOW & STOCK, give it a couple of months to see up to where people can push it. The xBox is less powerful and does a heck of a job. My only concern is playback of higher def than 720p. I guess the video card can handle it, hell, my geForce go 6150 can do it and it’s a go 7400 series chipset, so Im a bit concern as to where the limitation is …
    Patrick S.

sansp00
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

So far doesn’t look promising. It won’t stream from an “iTunes” server without entering a key of some kind. Doesn’t just browse, like FrontRow (why not?)
    I’ll be dumping packets tonight to see what’s up, but I expect it might be ugly.

— Ron

Just wondering if any progress was made, Im leaning more and more towards getting a unit, but I want it to run off my hacked NSLU2, not a PC running iTunes.
    Thanks
    Patrick S.

rpedde
    Participant

@sansp00 wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

So far doesn’t look promising. It won’t stream from an “iTunes” server without entering a key of some kind. Doesn’t just browse, like FrontRow (why not?)
    I’ll be dumping packets tonight to see what’s up, but I expect it might be ugly.

— Ron

Just wondering if any progress was made, Im leaning more and more towards getting a unit, but I want it to run off my hacked NSLU2, not a PC running iTunes.
    Thanks
    Patrick S.

Looks to me not doable. There looks to be x.509 certificates involved, and I suspect that even if a private key were dug out of iTunes to enable it to happen, apple would just revoke that cert in the next version. To me, it looks like apple doesn’t want it to happen, which means that you would always be chasing them every release.

No, I think the best solution will be hacking the device to add features. Someone already built a plug-in for the user interface, and I think that’s the way forward… modify (or wholesale replace) the interface with a new one. Or even maybe multiple. Switch between built-in, myth fe, and xbmc for whatever you want to do.

That’s my thought, anyway.

gordo
    Participant

Since front row works with mt-daapd now perhaps the simplest fix is to have a new menu item added to the atv that just runs the osx standard front row which will take streams from any daap server

the_witness
    Participant

I know it’s been mentionned already, but AwkwardTV has a listof hacks for the Apple TV, some of which don’t even involve opening the case!

I’m sure answers might be found also at this forum.

As you can see, I really want to have the Apple TV work with Firefly. Let’s not give up hope yet!

hsorbo
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@sansp00 wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

— Ron

Thanks
    Patrick S.

Looks to me not doable. There looks to be x.509 certificates involved, and I suspect that even if a private key were dug out of iTunes to enable it to happen, apple would just revoke that cert in the next version. To me, it looks like apple doesn’t want it to happen, which means that you would always be chasing them every release.

No, I think the best solution will be hacking the device to add features. Someone already built a plug-in for the user interface, and I think that’s the way forward… modify (or wholesale replace) the interface with a new one. Or even maybe multiple. Switch between built-in, myth fe, and xbmc for whatever you want to do.

That’s my thought, anyway.

I think we’ll see this also being pushed into iTunes soon, of course I’m speculating, but when the songs go DRM-free apple would probably tighten up here, don’t you think?

rpedde
    Participant

@hsorbo wrote:

I think we’ll see this also being pushed into iTunes soon, of course I’m speculating, but when the songs go DRM-free apple would probably tighten up here, don’t you think?

Probably, but the opposite way. Make it hard for non-itunes clients to connect to iTunes, not vice versa. Or, at least I’d think.

hsorbo
    Participant

@rpedde wrote:

@hsorbo wrote:

Probably, but the opposite way. Make it hard for non-itunes clients to connect to iTunes, not vice versa. Or, at least I’d think.

Yeah, kinda like the case with Airtunes. But the good thing is that we have the software on both sides, so we don’t have to do RE’ing on hardware to figure out keys.
    One could probably also hook up IDA’s remote debugger on the Apple-tv and do it over LAN to avoid static analysis of everything.
    Now I want an apple-tv just for hacking :/

rpedde
    Participant

@hsorbo wrote:

One could probably also hook up IDA’s remote debugger on the Apple-tv and do it over LAN to avoid static analysis of everything.
    Now I want an apple-tv just for hacking :/

I’m going to get a forensic backup of the hard drive this weekend and then start working on it a bit, I think.

seggerman
    Participant

Since Ron mentioned X509 Certificates etc… would it be much easier to have a Backrow plugin that streams (without the 5 digit key from itunes) media from a daap source? Since we (Ron in particular) know exaclty what is being sent, this ‘just’ needs to be feed into the ATV via plugin.

Wouldn’t this be a more simpler and feasable solution? I’ve never coded cocca apps so I personally don’t know how complex this can get. I’ve just looked at the demo plugin at awkwardtv an it looks straight forward (naturally there is a lot missing).

Maybe there is someone more competent out there than I am to access this?

– my 2c –

Alexander

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.