1696 – and extended characters in media path

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback 1696 – and extended characters in media path

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@turbo wrote:

@rpedde wrote:

I think he meant 1696.

Right, sorry. I was a little confused jsut around the time when I started to use SVN version(s) and didn’t notice that part… I got a SVN version checked out, and that crashed about the time it noticed a file with international characters, so I jumped the gun and assumed it was the same problem. I later noticed that it was something else (can’t remember what now).
    @rpedde wrote:

On the other hand, I’ve written a couple thousand lines of code without being able to test is from an actual media player, so now that it’s working against a real media player, I ought to be able to move faster now.

Nice! So given a couple of days, we’ll get a much improved Firefly with more functionality to test? Oh, what joy (really! :)!
    Just commit what you have (with a WARNING file) so we can test/help. I get payed to work on this, so… 🙂

it’s committed, and compiles right now, at least on mac. Probably will compile on linux. probably not on windows or *bsd or solaris.

at a first pass it won’t do anything it didn’t do before. only possibly slower or buggier.

I hope to speed it up to the point that it’s faster than the current db, and this setup should let me do neater things, like the “top n” queries, and queries with specific sorting, and properly sorting band names with “The”.

That sort of thing.

— Ron

HellerMD98
    Participant

This may be a bit premature but what is mt-daapd’s support for phonetic characters?

We are using it in our Language Lab and have entered the characters using iTunes on a Mac. This is with build 1586 as we couldn’t get a new version to run (Mac OS X 10.5.1 client).

The characters look fine on the Mac with the iTunes library, but either don’t show up on a client to mt-daapd (iTunes from another computer) or for the ones that have accents over the phonetic character, they show up as two characters. I don’t mean é or ö but rather phonetic characters like É™ or Éœ. (For more examples, some HTML phonetic entities can be seen at http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/ipachart.html)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

rpedde
    Participant

@HellerMD98 wrote:

This may be a bit premature but what is mt-daapd’s support for phonetic characters?

We are using it in our Language Lab and have entered the characters using iTunes on a Mac. This is with build 1586 as we couldn’t get a new version to run (Mac OS X 10.5.1 client).

The characters look fine on the Mac with the iTunes library, but either don’t show up on a client to mt-daapd (iTunes from another computer) or for the ones that have accents over the phonetic character, they show up as two characters. I don’t mean é or ö but rather phonetic characters like É™ or Éœ. (For more examples, some HTML phonetic entities can be seen at http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/ipachart.html)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

It should work fine… iTunes should save them as UTF-8, which mt-daapd shouldn’t have a problem reading at all. There are some problems (as mentioned) with non-latin1 codepage characters in file systems that aren’t utf-8, but that shouldn’t affect a mac at all.

Should just work. Is it possible that the remote machines don’t have a font that will display those characters?

Do you have an example mp3 that you could mail me at [email protected]?

— Ron

HellerMD98
    Participant

Thanks Ron! As requested, I’ve shared an MP3 with you via email. Thanks for all your hard work on mt-daapd!!

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.