1463 apple lossless and soundbridge beta 2.7

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Nightlies Feedback 1463 apple lossless and soundbridge beta 2.7

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    rpedde
    Participant

@gordo wrote:

It is rsp. If I delete the rsp plugins to force daap then I can stream alac to the soundbridge no problem (once the m4a files are fast start enabled using mp4creator).

By the way daap from svn-1498 to the latest soundbridge beta is all messed up browsing generates a whole bunch of empty albums – in addition to the albums for the artist you are browsing to.

I’m not sure what you mean. Can you describe this more?

gordo
    Participant

There are two separate problems with alac and the soundbridge. The first is that you must have a fast start enabled m4a file which some programs do not produce (e.g. dbpoweramp). You can run mp4creator -optimize -H=1 filename.m4a to add the needed info to a file.

An alac file which has fast start info will stream from iTunes->iTunes, from iTunes-Roku, and firefly->Roku via daap. It does not work firefly->Roku via rsp (at least for m4a’s produced by dbpoweramp+mp4creator, max, and omni encoder which uses iTunes to write alac. I have verifed this by running two separate instances of firefly svn-1498. One has the rsp plugins removed from the plugin directory forcing daap, the other has the daap plugins removed so rsp is used. They both read the same files on the server. The daap one streams alac to Roku just fine. The rsp version fails on each file with error message:

Write error: Broken pipe

The simple solution would be to just use daap however the combination of the current Roku beta and svn-1498 doesn’t browse very well – as an example browse artist gives you a list of every single album in the database with only those corresponding to the artist you selected having any songs once you go down the next level. i.e. rsp browses fine but doesn’t play the native alac and daap plays the files but has messed up browsing.

Hope this is clear – I’ve confused myself numerous times trying to isolate the alac problem. The URL I posted above links to a file that behaves this way.

rpedde
    Participant

@gordo wrote:

The daap one streams alac to Roku just fine. The rsp version fails on each file with error message:

Write error: Broken pipe

That’s almost certainly a roku issue, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why it wouldn’t work. Certainly the alac playback would be the same for both the iTunes and the rsp stream.

Strange.

as an example browse artist gives you a list of every single album in the database with only those corresponding to the artist you selected having any songs once you go down the next level.

This is what I’m not understanding. You mean when you pick “artist” then it shows all albums, not just the albums for that artist?

gordo
    Participant

as an example browse artist gives you a list of every single album in the database with only those corresponding to the artist you selected having any songs once you go down the next level.

This is what I’m not understanding. You mean when you pick “artist” then it shows all albums, not just the albums for that artist?[/quote]

Exactly – all albums are shown but only the ones for the artist you selected have any songs in them.

gordo
    Participant

One other peculiar thing. If I scan the files before doing the fast start correct to the alac files and then use mp4creator to optimize them I can play the songs via rsp as long as I don’t rescan. This seems to depend a bit on which transcoder and I haven’t fully explored the systematics so it may be a red herring.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Nightlies Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.