Reply To: Getting Another Editor to Work on an NSLU2 with mt-daapd

FireFly Media Server Firefly Media Server Forums Firefly Media Server Setup Issues Getting Another Editor to Work on an NSLU2 with mt-daapd Reply To: Getting Another Editor to Work on an NSLU2 with mt-daapd

Sherlock

I will post what I learned from my efforts to get the ‘joe’ editor to work on my Unslung V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta NSLU2. If those more skilled in Linux will check this over and let me know if I have made changes in error, I will edit this to hopefully have an accurate solution.

My configuration is a single USB disk drive in port 2 which seems to be the recommendation to allow future options with the more capable port 1. I don’t know if the problems I experienced with getting the ‘joe’ editor to work are due to my configuration.

The first thing to check on your system if the ‘joe’ editor does not work after doing an IPKG INSTALL JOE (assuming there were no errors in the install) are the settings for the following variables:

echo $PATH

Check if the current setting includes /opt/bin. In my case, it did not. I issued the command:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/bin:$PATH:/opt/sbin:/opt/usr/bin:/opt/usr/sbin

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I failed to check this but it probably was blank. Issue the command:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib

echo $TERMINFO

In my case this variable was blank. Issue the command:

export TERMINFO=/opt/share/terminfo

echo $TERM

In my case this variable was blank. I found discussion from people with similar problems getting the ‘nano’ editor to work that indicated this variable needs to be set to a valid terminal emulator. I tried first not setting this variable but when I tried to run ‘joe’ I received the message ‘Couldn’t load termcap/terminfo entry’. I did not know how to list the available terminals in the terminfo database, so I simply tried:

export TERM=vt100

After I did this, the ‘joe’ editor worked.

At this point I had a working editor, so the next step was to use the solution outlined in the slugbug document and create /etc/profile.

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/bin:$PATH:/opt/sbin:/opt/usr/bin:/opt/usr/sbin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lib
export TERMINFO=/opt/share/terminfo
export TERM=vt100

A reboot of my NSLU2 and now I can run ‘joe’.