Reply To: Another stupid question

zemanel

iTunes (6.0.4) is installed in WinXP, the WAV files were all ripped and “deposited” into the hdd while it was connected to the WinXP machine via USB.
Then I unplugged the hdd and connected it to the NSLU2 (Unslung 6.8).

Now for iTunes to be able to find the files, I told it where they were located. To this end, simply told it that the files were no longer in M:/Music (the drive had the letter M when attached to the PC) but rather N:/Music (N: was the letter that I mapped the networked drive to). Then iTunes found all the files again and updated its XML and playlist files (actually, it only updates it after closing down iTunes).

Finally, copied and pasted the XML and playlist files (they were in the My Documents/My Music/iTunes folder) to N:/Music

So, to answer your questions:

rpedde wrote:

What kind of system was it coming from?

WinXP SP2 (UK English). iTunes in C:/Program Files/iTunes and music files in M:/Music/

rpedde wrote:

What was the location of the .xml file

C:/Documents and Settings/Username/My Documents/My Music/iTunes

this is the default location for iTunes’ XML and playlist files

rpedde wrote:

…and where where the music files?

The music files were initially located in M:/Music/

rpedde wrote:

What kind of file system was it on?

NTFS

rpedde wrote:

When you moved it to your linux box, where did you put the music files?

Simply moved the hdd to the Slug, where it is recognized as HDD_1_1_1 (which as you know simply means it’s the first -and only- partition of disk 1 plugged to port 1)

So, they stayed in the same hdd, but their path changed.

rpedde wrote:

Where did you put the .xml file?

From the Slug’s perspective: inside /share/hdd/data/HDD_1_1_1/Music/

From Windows perspective //Lanstorage/HDD_1_1_1/Music/
or the mapped drive N, i.e. N:/Music/

rpedde wrote:

And what type of file system is the
destination system?

Still NTFS, since it’s the same drive. The only real difference is that the NSLU2 firmware only seems to recognize/handle files whose name don’t contain “~”, such as “ã”, or “õ”.